Percent Of Free Book In Smashwords

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Percent Of Free Book In Smashwords

Postby jaus tail » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:10 am

Hellom

I was going through the procedure of publishing a book on Smashwords, when I saw an option of, 'How much percent of your book do you want to be available for free?'

Is this percent calculated in terms of word count or letter count or pages or file size?

As in if i state 50% of my book free. Book data, 50k words, 150 pages, 1.2 MB. then what would be free to read, 25k words, 125 pages or .6MB

i guess it would be size as in MB that would be calculated. So if i want to make the first 3 chapters of my book for free, what do i specify in the percent field?

I emailed the same query to Smashwords but they havent replied till now.

Any answers..
Have a nice day

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Percent Of Free Book In Smashwords

Postby Oldtimer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:38 am

I believe most authors offer 25%, Jaus. You don't have to work that out. Smashwords do it for you. However, if you only want to let people read up to the end of Chapter 3, maybe you should have a word with their Help section.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:59 pm

It's a percentage, from the first page onward. I always offer 50% of my books for free on Smashwords, btw.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:51 am

But how is the percent calculated. If the book is of 150 pages with 50k word count, then would 50% be 75 pages or 25k words or 50% of file size. I guess it would be file size that's evaluated and the file is broken according to the percent specified. Evaluating percent in terms of volume(file size) sounds logical from the computer's point of view.
Have a nice day

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:33 am

The percentage is of pages, not words, and includes the title page, acknowledgements, etc., and is an excellent marketing tool, as potential readers can sample the book before buying. However, I sampled one book which offered 5%. Guess what? Not a single page of the story was offered … the sample was all title page, acknowledgements, copyright notice, etc. Blah.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:25 am

lol..

There's this joke. A guy says, "I want to be a writer, i want people to read my story, feel the emotions of the character and i want readers to cry after reading my stories."

He now writes programs for computer errors
Have a nice day

Return to General Questions & Discussions