[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Publishing ideas that are claimed "free to use" off of net?? : General Questions & Discussions • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Publishing ideas that are claimed "free to use" off of net??

mfarraday
Lieutenant

Re: Publishing ideas that are claimed "free to use" off of n

Postby mfarraday » Tue May 28, 2013 12:22 pm

Taking a prompt and writing a story from it is one thing. Taking a prompt, word-for-word, from a website, putting it with other prompts in a book and then calling them your own ideas, is another. I'm not really sure what copyright would apply, but I would think if you are just collecting random prompts from here and there and re-printing them, using them for your own profit...I figure someone might have a problem with it. But I don't know what they'd do about it, or if they'd find out.

Andregreen
Private E-1

Postby Andregreen » Wed May 29, 2013 5:50 pm

Does anyone know if Xlibris is a good self publisher I've hearing a lot of negative reviews about them and I ws talking to someone from there early this week. I don't what to get taken advantage of with my book.
What about Dorrance?

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed May 29, 2013 7:02 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Thu May 30, 2013 6:17 am

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Breezybealle
Private E-1

Postby Breezybealle » Thu May 30, 2013 5:11 pm

I NEVER intended to call them my own, and the fact that that was even implied upsets me. That is why I was trying to find out whether I had to go to each person individually to get their permission, or could I just refer to the websites, or could I not do it all? That's why I asked if it was even possible. As I said earlier, I am not trying to "steal" anyone's ideas. Simply combine the few really good ones that fit the criteria of what I was searching for, others actually inspiring me to create brand new prompts, plots, etc.. of my own. It is to be a collection of things found around the internet, so people who don't have the time to search for weeks or months as I have, can quickly find what they are looking for. Even if I use them for my own personal use, I have each and every single word documented as to where I found them and who provided them. I happened to come across a forum that was specifically put up for that reason and that reason alone, to give to ANYONE who wanted to use it, I found about 30 out of almost 1000 that I felt were useful, and a lot of those I added to or even completely changed. I just needed to find out proper protocol. I searched for a waiver that stated something was free to publish that I could maybe have them sign, but all I could find was examples of photo releases, nothing about re-printing text. I can't get an exact answer anywhere I look.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu May 30, 2013 8:03 pm

wondo
Colonel

Postby wondo » Fri May 31, 2013 9:29 am

I have never had a problem with ideas. A simple drive along the highway or random musings have always provided plenty of ideas. I did use prompts when I first started writing, but those were usually for short story contests where using a prompt was required.
A garden is a place not just for growing plants. It is a place to grow the soul as well.

http://www.mossyfeetbooks.com/

http://www.facebook.com/ae.mableson

http://www.indianaplaces.com/

http://www.aemableson.com

Breezybealle
Private E-1

Postby Breezybealle » Fri May 31, 2013 11:05 am

If you read my very first entry, it is me asking who I need to credit or how I go about doing it. So from the start, I've stated that I am NOT wanting to pass anything off as my own and never intended to. I just wanted to know exactly how far I had to go: if I had to contact each website itself to get permission, or just the individual who posted something or if I just needed to simply mention where I originally saw it. That is all. If I had planned on throwing everything in a book and pretending I made it all up, I would never have brought attention to myself in the first place.

I had a simple idea. That's all it was. And I was trying to find out the right way to go about it. And instead of anyone actually helping me, the whole thing turns me into a unethical plagiarizing villain.

And you may think that the idea in itself (even if the entire thing was 100% written by me and me alone) is stupid or a waste of time, but I didn't. I take things personally. I always have and I always will. So thank you to everyone who has made me feel ashamed even though there is no reason for me to feel that way.

This'll be my last post. I don't want to have to defend myself anymore. Thank you for all of your input.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri May 31, 2013 7:51 pm

You asked for answers and opinions; we gave them in response to what you posted, and you didn't like them. End of story. Locked.

Previous

Return to General Questions & Discussions