[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How do you respond to silence? : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How do you respond to silence?

Oldtimer
Colonel

How do you respond to silence?

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:41 am

I am feeling far from confident right now, caught as I am in the shifting sands of waiting for a response from important people who should have received copies of "Jonesing" more than a week ago.

Both said they were looking forward to receiving it and promised to let me know what they thought of it. One even went so far as to buy a Kindle version to read while waiting for the hard copy.

So --- are they disappointed? Did my story not come up to their expectations? Did they each do what I might have done, i.e., check the chapters that dealt with their projects then put the story down without seeing how those sections fitted into the whole tale? Are they too busy? Did the book ever reach them? Do I write and ask them that, or is that inviting a rebuke to the effect that they have other things to do with their lives than read a kid's book?

I'm carrying on writing my Martian story, but I'm finding it hard to concentrate on that while, at the same time, trying to ignore the nagging 'Why haven't I heard something about Jonesing?'

Sorry for the wallow. If anyone can recommend a way to heave myself out of it, I'd surely appreciate reading it.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

updog
General of the Army

Re: How do you respond to silence?

Postby updog » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:25 pm

I feel your pain, Oldtimer, but as a slow reader I have to say some of us are just slow readers. :mrgreen: Plus, it's possible the ones who have your book don't have a lot of spare time for reading, and are only able to dedicate an hour or so a day to it, or maybe only a chapter a night or something like that. Don't take it as a sign they don't like your story. It took me several weeks to read A Prayer for Owen Meany, and I adored that book.

Just hold your horses, as they say, and try to keep your mind on other things (such as adding words to your other projects). :)
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Thank you for the sympathetic hand on my shoulder, updog. I appreciate it. The trouble is, I read quickly and I assume that everyone else reads at the same pace.
Must have more patience.
Must have more patience.
Must have more pati..... :cry:
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:21 pm

I've been thinking about you all day, and I realized another part of this is that non-writer people really have no concept of what an agonizing process this is for us. When I have something on sub, I refresh my inbox about every 30 seconds, but would a normal person understand this strange compulsion? "The wait" is something ordinary people just cannot relate to, so getting back to you might not be as big a priority for them as we'd like it to be. ;)

Hang in there. (( hugs ))

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:50 pm

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:02 am

I'm one who reads a chapter a night. Maybe your readers are slow readers right enough Dot. Sending good thoughts from Scotland.(hugs) Elizabeth

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

A Big Ditto from Delaware. :D :D

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:15 pm

Thank you, Elibet and Terry.

You know, I really ought to have done the math before I started chewing my fingernails. My story is 120,000 words long, so even if my readers managed to read 2500 words every night, it would take them 48 nights ... seven weeks ... and I can't see them reading that avidly. Boy, do I feel foolish now. :oops: Umm, I'll report back in a couple of months. (Hangs head sheepishly.)

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Dorothy, do NOT feel embarrassed. We're all writers here. We completely understand your angst. :mrgreen:

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:58 pm

Oh, boy, do I EVER understand angst after 34+ years in public, private, religious, and government schools. A lot of it was my own :mrgreen:
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Next

Return to General Questions & Discussions