[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
CreateSpace : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

CreateSpace

Oldtimer
Colonel

CreateSpace

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:08 am

I mentioned before on one of these boards that I was considering publishing my 121,500-word YA novel, Jonesing, on CreateSpace, just to get a hard copy into the hands of the very kind, patient scientists who have helped me so willingly over the past two years, plus I do not have the time to go through this novel again to restructure it. Well, I have taken that route, using their free Do-It-Yourself option - and expect to have copies in my hands by March 20th.

One of the options was to have the ms e-published on Kindle and I ticked the "No thanks" box. My reasoning was twofold:
1. It would mean spending more time reviewing a novel I'd already reviewed three times, and I'm way behind with sewing deadlines.
2. I don't have a Kindle, nor does my basic phone accept apps, so I wouldn't be able to view the end result anyway. Granted thousands of other people have Kindles - something I didn't consider in my haste.
Do you think I made a mistake here? Would you advise me to go back to CreateSpace and see if my story can be "Kindled"?

(Bites nails - no emoticon for that.)
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

pls
Site Admin

Re: CreateSpace

Postby pls » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Anything could be "Kindled", Dorothy. Takes only a few minutes to format something in electronic form for Kindle. And why would you deny yourself an opportunity for more income derived from your hard work?

Format it for Smashwords, first. Then all you have to do to format it for Amazon is to remove references to Smashwords in the foreword (there, I got it right) and afterword (as in "Buy these other novels that I wrote from …"). Once you upload to Smashwords, it goes out to all the other sites and platforms. Then upload it to Amazon (you'd have to contact them about retroactively getting it to KDP; dunno how that works).
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Just me reporting on my CreateSpace experience.

The knowledge gained in publishing on Smashwords and Amazon certainly came in handy, since this was definitely a "Do-It-Yourself" enterprise. Uploading the interior was easy and CreateSpace gave me a choice from half-a-dozen or more covers. I picked a very simple one with no additional artwork or author's photo Only the title and my name appears on the front cover. I chose a standard size, 6" x 9", and used black and white on white paper. My 'blurb' went into a neat square on the back cover. CreateSpace provided a free ISBN and bar code, both of which are located at the bottom of the back cover. I paid no money at all to CreateSpace for the use of their templates.

Distribution will be via Amazon.com, Amazon Europe, CreateSpace eStore and Kindle.

My book will sell for $8.75 on CreateSpace and $4.99 on Kindle. The print version cost me $5.17 per copy (360 pages). Shipping for 9 copies: $8.31. Tax: $3.72.

I ordered nine copies on March 8th and received them this morning (March 13th) and was very pleased at the overall look and feel. The cover is glossy and sturdy. I typed the ms in Garamond 12pt and it is clean and easy to read.

All in all, I have had a very good experience with CreateSpace and might well use them again.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:46 pm

This is so very reassuring. I am going through the process right now myself. I downloaded the 6"x9" template, and am in the process of formatting my finished mss to fit the template. I am getting there. I was going to use Times New Roman 11pt for the font. It seemed the slightly smaller font looked better on that size paper, in my opinion. But I'm not 100% set on that.

That being said, what would your font recommendations be for a 6" x 9" perfect-bound print book? And what, if anything, is the difference between white paper and cream paper, that they offer? Does one look more "professional" than the other?

wondo
Colonel

Postby wondo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:34 pm

One thing to consider when you choose the paper is the final retail price. The first novel I put up I accidentally chose the color paper. The final price ended up being around 50 buck for the novel. I redid it using the white paper and was able to retail it for around ten bucks with a three dollar royalty. That creme paper may be more expensive creating a final price for the novel that no one will pay. The only way I would choose the more expensive paper is for a book with a lot of photos that will sell higher anyway. as to the font I chose garramond. But the ones I am putting up are fantasy novels and for some reason garramond just seems right. To me, anyway. I use Arial on all of my ebooks. I just think it looks cleaner and is easy on the eyes.
A garden is a place not just for growing plants. It is a place to grow the soul as well.

http://www.mossyfeetbooks.com/

http://www.facebook.com/ae.mableson

http://www.indianaplaces.com/

http://www.aemableson.com

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:46 pm

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Gesler, that cover looks very professional.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:09 am

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:03 am

I think you'll be much happier with the results if you take the time to do it right. I know as a reader it makes a huge difference to my enjoyment of the book when the formatting is right, and everything looks tidy. Best of luck to you.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Return to General Questions & Discussions