[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Traditional publishing or self-publish : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Traditional publishing or self-publish

Newbie_writer
Private E-1

Traditional publishing or self-publish

Postby Newbie_writer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:37 pm

Hello,

I have to begin with stating that I know I might sound greedy or unthankful…
As it happened I got a contract offer to my contemporary romance novel after several requests from various agents/publishers to read my full MS, which tells me my work might not be so bad…
Though, the contract I got is for digital print only (with an exception of volume of purchases) and minimal PR/marketing.
I am well aware that even the big publishers request full author participation in marketing and social media involvement.
But this specific publishers insist that most of the marketing will be done by the author (under the publisher’s guidance.)
When I asked what is the publisher’s part in the marketing activities I was answered that they do RSS and website promotion and that it is mostly down to the author to establish a network and use it for PR.
I am currently contemplating on whether to go with the publisher or to self-publish. Any inputs on the matter will be much appreciated.

10x

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Traditional publishing or self-publish

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:51 pm

What does this publisher do for you?

I wouldn't give up on trade publishing at this point. One publisher wants it - others may as well, and with possibly better terms.

Patience. :)
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

b.sherman
Private E-2

Postby b.sherman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:41 pm

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:18 pm

Yeah, if you're this close, keep shopping it around until a real agent places it with a real publisher.

Meanwhile, write the next novel. Stephen King says that until you've written at least a million words, you're still in training, or something like that. I'm something like a quarter-million words away from getting out of my training pants and into grown-up ones …
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Newbie_writer
Private E-1

Postby Newbie_writer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:19 am

Thank you all, much appreciated!

Return to General Questions & Discussions