[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Self Published Writers Forum : General Questions & Discussions • Page 8 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Self Published Writers Forum

writesistah
Private E-2

Re: Self Published Writers Forum

Postby writesistah » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:42 pm

Trust me, OT, you are not alone! :lol:

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:56 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:25 pm

I followed the instructions, pls, and removed all the tabs. Then I had to choose paragraph separation and I chose "indent". That indented the first line of every paragraph in the ms. But I want my chapter headings to be centered. I found the only way I could do that was to highlight the heading, remove the instruction to indent, then center. I am using Office 2010 and not all the steps described in the Guide have turned out the way I expected. I did a Nuclear clearance to begin with to make sure I didn't have any lurkers to upset my apple cart, and I have my pilcrow visible all the time.

I'm about to tackle Step 12 - Designating Chapter Breaks, Page Breaks and Section Breaks. Wish me luck!
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:20 pm

WeAreOnTheLoose
Private E-2

Postby WeAreOnTheLoose » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:04 pm

I published my self-published stuff on Lulu, but really, I buy a bulk load and sell them myself to stores, soon, I'll be trying local flea markets. That or I'll try to find a local publishing firm nearby me to reduce shipping costs.
Why the hell did I title my profile from a 1981 hit with lots of synthesizers?

A Walk To Aquarius:
My Amazon page:
My baseball blog:

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:32 am

HELP!!
Life got in the way and I had to leave formating my manuscript until today. I changed a few lines and wanted to add a new stronger ending, but then noticed that, in the new section, all my smart quotes have turned into straight quotes. I went into Proofing but the relevant box is still ticked (to change straight to smart), so what is happening here? I haven't added the new ending yet. Don't want to mess things up even more. Please don't say I have to do another nuclear format strip. :( :(

PS: I don't know if this has anything to do with the smart quotes problem but, since yesterday, I have been seeing a message on my browser screen that:
HP Connection Manager has stopped responding. Please exit and restart the application. A fatal error occurred. Check the HP Connection Manager in Event Viewer for more details.
I must have rebooted half a dozen times now but I still get this message. The Event Viewer contains two messages. One says that Windows Defender needs to scan my computer. The other tells me to Set up backup (as apparently my files are not being backed up).
I know you are a Mac guy, pls, but can you help me out here, please? What should I do?
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:03 pm

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:09 pm

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:37 am

For Oldtimer (request for reviewers from other discussion)

I did just a quick search and found two sites that might be of interest:

This is a list of reviewers specifically looking at self-published books.

Publishers Weekly Select - not exactly a reviewer, and there is a charge. However, it does make your book more visible to the trade audience ("agents, booksellers, publishers, distributors, librarians, and media").

Hopefully, others will have more to add.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

PreviousNext

Return to General Questions & Discussions