[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Self Published Writers Forum : General Questions & Discussions • Page 7 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Self Published Writers Forum

pls
Site Admin

Re: Self Published Writers Forum

Postby pls » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

rweinstein6
Lieutenant

Postby rweinstein6 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:37 pm

Hope you have an awesome time, and make sure you double check your luggage for extra WD forum youngins!

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:17 pm

Great article from indie writer Jessica Park: http://indiereader.com/2012/06/how-amaz ... d-my-life/

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:47 am

Okay, I'm back and rolling up my sleeves, ready to start work. Not on my stories, though. While I was on holiday everyone asked me when the Family History would be ready and I rashly promised this Christmas. The problem is that I have relatives in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Cyprus, America and, of course, England. I would like to make a copy of the manuscript available on line for these distant cousins to download. There are many, many photographs as well as a lot of text. Can I create this through Smashwords? If I want to offer it on Amazon for a pittance (in the hope that some of the missing links might recognize themselves and after obtaining all necessary permissions from surviving relatives) would I need an ISBN? I have the instructions for obtaining an ISBN tucked away somewhere.
The print version is half-written in Word. Do you recommend copying and pasting into something like Pagemaker? When I started this project I was a novice on computers and didn't know the best way of writing a book.
I am very nervous about both versions so help and advice would be much appreciated. :roll:
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:40 am

There are places like Rootsweb (one example) that allow you to upload all of that at no cost. I'm not sure if you'd be able to charge for it at those places, however, and they don't usually allow any names or locations of living relatives (just the fact that they do exist). You might be able to include a link for donations.

Just a thought...
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:20 pm

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:31 pm

Thank you, pls. I have a couple of domains that lie empty at the moment, principally because I don't know how to use them. I guess this old dog is going to have to learn a lot of new tricks. For now, though, I'll plod on in Word and scan the photographs. :geek: (That's a wannabe geek emoticon.)
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.

Mar23
Private E-1

Postby Mar23 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:49 pm

Marketing Expert Willing To Help!

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:13 am

Thank you, Mar23, but - with the greatest respect - as far as Smashwords is concerned, pls and several other WD forumites have already been there, done that, and I can trust them to guide me through this tricky patch. Not that I can't trust you, I hasten to add, but you know the phrase ... sooner the devil you know, etc. :mrgreen:

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:21 am

I had to order a couple more certificates to clarify a passage in my family history so, while I waited for them to arrive, I decided to format my latest story, Brotherly Love, ready to put it on Smashwords. So far I've had three attempts, but I'm nearly there now. What is very annoying and frustrating, is that I've had to reformat line indents each time. The alterations I made to conform with the Smashwords Guide didn't transport over to the new copies. Of course, then I had to find out how to undo line indents where I want chapter headings. Eventually I discovered that I had to reformat (under paragraph) every line by manually taking out the indent, then centering. So far I've spent three hours. Time to get up and wiggle my shoulders and stretch my legs.

Watch this thread for the next thrilling instalment of Dorothy's venture into the Smashwords World! :D

PreviousNext

Return to General Questions & Discussions