[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Self Published Writers Forum : General Questions & Discussions • Page 5 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Self Published Writers Forum

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Re: Self Published Writers Forum

Postby louiseh87 » Fri May 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to the article, just to my experience of a some self-published writers and why its a difficult area. I know you're not all like that :)
Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Fri May 18, 2012 2:17 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri May 18, 2012 3:27 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Fri May 18, 2012 3:48 pm

I believe a separate section in the main menu is an excellent idea. It's a huge topic of conversation so why not give it its own section with sub-sections for different aspects of the process. It can only help and may even direct and assist those who self publish, that may have put out something less than worthy to read, to spend more time in the edit phase. Self publishing has and always will be here. Some have used it as a stepping stone to traditional publishing while others have moved from traditional back to self-publishing. There are agents now that besides handling their traditional clients, handle self-pub clients.

When I first started writing, I was absolutely against self-publishing. The biggest reason was a friend of mine went through the process even though I read his novel and told him it wasn't ready; that his writing wasn't ready. That was me with no writing experience. Just a reader with an opinion. Now, that I have seen a little bit of the industry and have spoken to a ton of authors, I think self-publishing can be a direction for many writers and not just writers with no talent.

As part of my duties with ITW, I work with an author that started out self-publishing. He had enough success with that first novel that he signed a four novel deal. Look at Amanda Hocking. Can you say $2 million signing bonus? Chris Kuzneski self-published his first novel and is now a best-selling author with novels sold in over 40 countries.

I have thought about self publishing. I have a slight up with agents in that I help put together the largest pitching session of agents each year. Many of the agents remember me when I query them. This gets me a lot more requests for submissions. The comments are always mixed, "You really know how to plot. You have a great imagination. Your characters are fun....BUT", but they pass with the usually I'm not sure if I could sell this as your writing is not strong enough. From the beginning agent to the huge, I receive these type of comments. I can not ignore this. But here's where it gets interesting. Besides the friends that say they love what I have written, I have several endorsements from authors, some best sellers. I'm pretty confident that I could get additional endorsements from other best sellers. I may have to beg, but I'm not above a bended knee.

So, this takes me to possible self publishing. After I finish my third novel and start the agent process, I am going back to the first two novels for some major overhauls. Once these are done and depending on what happens to the third novel, I will try small publishers and then consider the self-publish route. If I can get some major endorsements from some big writers, I'll slap their blurbs on a nice website, plus Amazon and others. If I do go this route, a section on self-publishing would be a huge help. My vote is yes on the new section. Who can we discuss this with to get the ball rolling? Paul?

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Fri May 18, 2012 4:05 pm

I think it's very important to understand the difference between distaste for the conduct of some self-publishers and opinion about self-publishing overall. There is only one reason why I've ruled it out for my writing - I don't have any interest in the publishing side of things. That's it. But as a fellow writer, I don't want others to go into it without knowing all that it entails, or because of a misunderstanding of how trade publishing works. So I'm all for a section for self-publishing - but if it's going to become another place for spreading misinformation and battle cries, there's not much point.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri May 18, 2012 4:27 pm

I'd like to see a self-publishing forum, but I'm not sure how you keep it honest. It's hard to speak openly on the internet without feeling like your words could come back to bite you later. That's why I'm so scared of blogs and twitter. :mrgreen:

And for the record, I'm not ready to give up on trade publishers yet, but I might consider self publishing in the near future. Just not sure I have it in me to do my own marketing. I hate having to toot my own horn. :(

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:10 pm

"'d like to see a self-publishing forum, but I'm not sure how you keep it honest."
It's simple Updog, you put in a dedicated Moderator. One who swiftly puts out fires and keeps everything flowing smoothly. Most folk will be considerate and respectful. You may still get one or two who like to scratch matches, but a good Mod will easily take care of them.

I'm for the new board too. I think it could be a wonderful new addition to the forums.

Elizabeth :)

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Fri May 18, 2012 6:41 pm

Previously published writer starting over.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sat May 19, 2012 11:41 am

Interesting blog post comparing royalty statements from traditional vs self-published books. Let me say up front that I realize this is only ONE person's experience, but it's interesting, just the same.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sat May 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

PreviousNext

Return to General Questions & Discussions