[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Self Published Writers Forum : General Questions & Discussions • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Self Published Writers Forum

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Self Published Writers Forum

Postby shadowwalker » Thu May 17, 2012 3:56 pm

My biggest problem with it is its emphasis on this so-called war between self- and trade-published authors. Where does that come from? Quite honestly, I have seen more of this battle hyperbole from self-publishers and I cannot for the life of me figure out why there has to be this animosity. Now, granted, I have my problems with Konrath and others of his ilk, but again, it all goes to this ridiculous (and manufactured) animosity, and is not directed at self-publishers in general.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Thu May 17, 2012 4:15 pm

Previously published writer starting over.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu May 17, 2012 4:36 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

UltimateCheapskate
Private E-1

Postby UltimateCheapskate » Thu May 17, 2012 6:51 pm

Gosh, I don’t understand why there’s so much controversy and ill-will here about this article.

The author of the article works for a website/company that sells editorial and other services to self-published authors - and the article was written by her to appear on that website - so why would anyone be shocked that it’s supportive of the many virtues of self-publishing? Sure, maybe it’d be nice if the Huffington Post made that relationship clear(er) in her byline, but then the Huffington Post isn’t known for being a model of journalistic standards. (Heck, they run my pieces fairly often, so there’s your proof.) ;-) The point is, the Huffington Post didn't hire the writer to write the article; IndieReader.com hired her to write it for their website, and then they synidcated the article and it was picked up Huffington (that's how HP gets most of its content).

That doesn’t mean the article is bad in any way or the facts that it presents aren’t true. But it’s clearly not balanced, nor is it intended to be. If the intent was balanced reporting, then the writer would have interviewed not just authors, agents, etc. who are supportive of self-publishing, but authors, agents, etc. who disagree with that view and give their side of the story.

It’s really very simple, and shouldn't be controversial at all. For example, if AARP hires me to write an article about the financial benefits of being an AARP member, I’m not going to include in that article examples of when AAA membership benefits are better than AARP benefits. And I’m going to interview AARP members who sing the praises of the AARP member benefits they receive; I’m not going to interview AARP members who are unhappy with their benefits. If that article was picked up by the Huffington Post - which it very well could be, given that HP doesn't purport to run only "straight news" stories - I'd assume that readers would recognize that I'm writing on behalf of AARP, just as the author of this article is writing on behalf of IndieReader.com. On the other hand, if the Washington Post hires me (yeah, that would be sweet!) to write an article comparing the benefit programs of different national membership organizations, of course my assignment is to objectively present the pros and cons of each.

No need for any hard feelings here. The article is perfectly fine and I found it quite informative, provided you acknowledge the source and recognize the intended perspective.
Last edited by UltimateCheapskate on Fri May 18, 2012 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Thu May 17, 2012 8:02 pm

I think we just don't understand why they wrote that there are writers who are angry at those who self-publish, and vice versa. That part does seem like it's intended to be inflaming.
Previously published writer starting over.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri May 18, 2012 8:43 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Fri May 18, 2012 9:50 am

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri May 18, 2012 10:03 am

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:15 am

I hear that sort of thing a lot over on the Writers & Artists forum (sort of the UK equivalent of Writer's Digest). Every week or so there's questions like "is it who you know in the publishing industry rather than the quality of your writing?" (generally from those who've already formed an opinion and are just looking for others to back them up) or from people who gave up after one agent rejection, self-published their recently finished novel and are now wondering why their books aren't immediate smash hits (or in fact, haven't sold a single copy). They see agents and publishers as a barrier, thrown up to get in the writers way. One in particular, which got me very mad, was a question basically saying "what world do agents live in that they think writers should have to wait 6 weeks for a response?", followed by several praising comments remarking on the bravery of the original poster for saying such a thing. I understand why self-publishing works for some people and that its a valid choice, but those people make me so angry. There's never any discussion about the merits of either alternative, just endless complaining. I do like to complain, but sometimes its a bit much.
Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri May 18, 2012 1:02 pm

I stated a few posts back to read the article I posted the URL to with an unprejudiced eye.

Doesn't seem to be happening, and several of you are adding your own opinions and grumbling and moaning about things that have little to do with what's in the article or my comments, either.

The article was written in promotion of self-published writers as well as to demonstrate that self-publishing can be as lucrative and satisfying to a writer as waiting to be traditionally published can.

The only "war" is of your making, not mine or the writer's. Put your guns down and be rational, please. There's something for everyone in either traditional or indie publishing - unless you've already sent your piece to Publish America or several of the other scam publishers, in which case you've already been screwed over. Save your rhetoric for these scam artists, why not?
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

PreviousNext

Return to General Questions & Discussions