Self-Published Book Award (Printed/Bound) - Question

Private E-1

Self-Published Book Award (Printed/Bound) - Question

Postby I.W. » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:22 am

Hi there,

Has anyone paricipated in this competition?

I am thinking of doing so, but I am not sure whether I fulfill the requirements, even after studying the FAQs. I have sent Writer's Digest an email with my question but I have not received a reply yet.

So I am (obviously) a self-published author, currently offering e-books and printed books for sale on Amazon, therefore I have not paid anything for the printing process. However, in the FAQ it is stated that "The competition is open to all English-language self-published books for which the authors have paid the full cost of publication, or the cost of printing has been paid for by a grant or as part of a prize".

Can I still participate when I let my book being printed as a bound copy through an independent printing company? This way I still paid the full cost of publication.

Thank you for your help!

Private First Class

Re: Self-Published Book Award (Printed/Bound) - Question

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Good question. I could be wrong, but I read, "paid the full cost of publication" to mean that the author created the book (e.g., hired and paid a cover designer to create the cover, hired and paid the graphic designer to format the interior and convert the book to eBook, hired and paid an editor for copyediting, etc.). If you did that, it means you are self-published in my eyes. On the other hand, if you signed a contract with a traditional publisher and the traditional publisher hired and paid those vendors to create the book, then you are NOT self-published. I hope that helps.
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book

Return to General Questions & Discussions