Disappearing Amazon Reviews?

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Disappearing Amazon Reviews?

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Does Amazon occasionally delete book reviews? I just noticed that my debut book about college teaching tips has 2 less reviews (now 31 total) and my latest book (a self-publishing guide) has 1 less review (now 13 total). If this is normal, how does Amazon determine which reviews to delete? Do they delete unverified reviews, the oldest reviews, or is their decision based something else?
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Disappearing Amazon Reviews?

Postby ostarella » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:05 pm

I know there was some big to-do a while back about Amazon deleting reviews received from other writers, something about a conflict of interest. I don't know if that's still their policy or not, but something you could check on.

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:58 am

Okay. Thanks for the reply. I never asked any fellow authors for reviews, so I'm not sure if that was the reason. I just read on other forums/social media that as of last year Amazon started deleting reviews that they suspect may be tied to a free book or if they suspect that the reviewer is a friend of family member of the author. Supposedly, Amazon has ways to check if the reviewer is connected to the author on social media, but I'm not sure how accurate that suspicion is. I suppose it's possible though.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:16 am

I don't think it mattered if you had or had not asked for the review - if another author put one up, they'd take it down. But like I said, I don't know if that's still happening or not. I'd contact Amazon directly and ask them.

Return to General Questions & Discussions