real books are beating ebooks see the link

williamadams

real books are beating ebooks see the link

Postby williamadams » Thu May 18, 2017 11:12 am

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/ ... ng-revival

But after reaching a peak in 2014, sales of e-readers and ebooks have slowed and hardback sales have surged. The latest figures from the Publishing Association showed ebook sales falling 17% in 2016, with an 8% rise in their physical counterparts. At the same time, publishers’ production values have soared and bookshops have begun to fill up with books with covers of jewel-like beauty, often with gorgeously textured pages.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: real books are beating ebooks see the link

Postby ostarella » Thu May 18, 2017 11:34 am

I was never worried about print books disappearing. Print books sales slowed because, after all, people only had so much money available for books. When ebooks first took off, I looked at it as I do most technological innovations - something that would be hugely popular because it was new, and then sales would reach their equilibrium as the novelty wore off. That's pretty much what is happening now. Some people like ebooks, some prefer print, some (if not most) like both.

Just to note - ebooks are just as "real" as print books (unless one also considers audio books to not be "real").

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu May 18, 2017 3:49 pm

to me an electron book is virtual
audio is not a book at all
books are written not spoken

ebooks took off when the novelty of tablets was hot and people needed a reason to justify having a tablet
now with the huge pile of kindle books that are terrible bad hiding the few good ones
it is too hard to find a good book worth reading , which has slowed down the sales of ebooks
along with the novelty of reading on tablets that has worn off
and publishers trying to make print books more attractive

sort of like the art on an LP helping sales a lot
but the pictures on a CD did not do that too

MPhillip
Private E-1

Postby MPhillip » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:07 am

Love/hate describes my relationship with eBooks.

I hate them because

• I cannot sell one I've finished reading
• Cannot loan it to a friend more than once or twice
• Donate it to a hospital or charitable organization
• I cannot dog-ear a page as a handy bookmark
• Must have a power source
• Can't scribble indecipherable notes in the margins
• The reader/tablet/phone/etc. might break if dropped
• The reader/tablet/phone/etc. is more apt to be stolen than a real book

I love them because

• I can carry a thousand book library in my hand
• I can read any/all of the books in that library any time I want
• My library is available on any device with the right app/software
• I can self publish and not worry about buying cases of books to peddle to book stores
• They are, for the most part, better for the environment
• Less expensive than their traditionally printed counterpart. Usually.

I have a third generation Kindle and the Kindle app on my other devices, and find I still read more traditionally printed books than eBooks.

Every coin has at least three sides, and this issue is no different. I wonder what the reason for the resurgence of "real" books is.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:54 am

[quote="MPhillip"]I wonder what the reason for the resurgence of "real" books is.[/quote]

Personal opinion only, but I think a lot of it is just because the novelty has worn off. When e-books first started coming out, everyone was downloading EVERYTHING just because, well, shiny new object. Now, people I've talked to have sooooo many e-books that they haven't even looked at, let alone read, that they are being much more selective in adding new ones. Plus, they have a lot of the same "don't likes" that you listed, adding to that list vision problems (requiring fiddling with or having to replace their device) and all the techno stuff that goes along with any digital "machine".

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:26 pm

[quote="MPhillip"]Love/hate describes my relationship with eBooks.

I hate them because

• I cannot sell one I've finished reading
• Cannot loan it to a friend more than once or twice
• Donate it to a hospital or charitable organization[/quote]

Only partially true. Amazon's closed-up Kindle format for ebooks does this. And EPub format has this capability. But some ebooks don't have this (known as Digital Rights Management, or DRM) enabled. For example, there's an independent publisher known as Baen EBooks that sometimes makes works available for free. Once I download (even the paid ones) they are mine. I can sell, donate, give them. It's kind of an honor system. If you let someone else have the ebook, you're not supposed to keep it as well.

http://www.baen.com/baenebooks

[quote="MPhillip"]
• I cannot dog-ear a page as a handy bookmark
• Must have a power source
• Can't scribble indecipherable notes in the margins
• The reader/tablet/phone/etc. might break if dropped
• The reader/tablet/phone/etc. is more apt to be stolen than a real book[/quote]
There used to be a kind of tablet called an E-Reader. Some of them operated in a digital format called e-ink. You could write in books with that, with a special stylus.

Amazon killed that.

[quote="MPhillip"]
I love them because

• I can carry a thousand book library in my hand
• I can read any/all of the books in that library any time I want
• My library is available on any device with the right app/software
• I can self publish and not worry about buying cases of books to peddle to book stores
• They are, for the most part, better for the environment
• Less expensive than their traditionally printed counterpart. Usually.

I have a third generation Kindle and the Kindle app on my other devices, and find I still read more traditionally printed books than eBooks.

Every coin has at least three sides, and this issue is no different. I wonder what the reason for the resurgence of "real" books is.[/quote]
I'm with Ostarella on this.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:33 pm

[quote="rob-lost"]

Every coin has at least three sides, and this issue is no different. I wonder what the reason for the resurgence of "real" books is.[/quote]
I'm with Ostarella on this.[/quote]

The novelty wore off. The early buyers needed to download something to justify buying a fire or nook. Now they have a lot of books they never read and probably never will read.

Real books are so much better in almost every case. Reading on screen has been shown to be harder to learn from and is tiring to many users.

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:43 pm

[quote="plughmann"]

The novelty wore off. The early buyers needed to download something to justify buying a fire or nook. Now they have a lot of books they never read and probably never will read.

Real books are so much better in almost every case. Reading on screen has been shown to be harder to learn from and is tiring to many users.[/quote]

I could not agree more!

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

MPhillip
Private E-1

Postby MPhillip » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:28 am

rob-lost - I want to thank you for ripping my personal opinions to shreds despite the fact that your unwanted and unkind comments did not address the original post. Well, no, I'm not really thanking you.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:03 am

[quote="MPhillip"]rob-lost - I want to thank you for ripping my personal opinions to shreds despite the fact that your unwanted and unkind comments did not address the original post. Well, no, I'm not really thanking you.[/quote]

Did I miss something somewhere?

Next

Return to General Questions & Discussions