[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
14 STEPS that I took to Self-Publish my book : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

14 STEPS that I took to Self-Publish my book

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

14 STEPS that I took to Self-Publish my book

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:02 pm

I'm a new author (my first book was launched just a few months ago), and one of the most common questions I am asked is how to self-publish a book. So I decided to go back over my notes and write a summary of the 14 steps that I followed to self-publish my new book, Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors.

The process of self-publishing my book in eBook, paperback and hardcover versions took a little more than 2 months, and it was fairly easy in hind-sight. Actually, it was quite easy to find information on this topic with a quick search of the internet. The biggest challenge for me was finding all the information that I needed to self-publish a book like mine in a single step-by-step resource. With that in mind, I hope the following list of steps that I used to self-publish my book will help other authors out there who are interested in self-publishing their future book.

STEP 1: Finalize the book manuscript.
STEP 2: Create a new business to self-publish and market your book.
STEP 3: Buy a domain name for your book’s website and build the webpages.
STEP 4: Buy a set of 10 ISBN numbers from Bowkers and pay the applicable fee.
STEP 5: Apply for an LCCN number from the U.S. Library of Congress.
STEP 6: Apply for a merchant account at your preferred shipping company.
STEP 7: Create a Social Media Platform.
STEP 8: Decide where you want to sell your book and in what formats.
STEP 9: Hire a professional cover designer to make your book cover.
STEP 10: Hire a professional interior designer to make the interior pages of your print book and/or convert your manuscript to an eBook.
STEP 11: Purchase an editorial book review well before the book launch date.
STEP 12: Upload your book files onto the distributor’s website.
STEP 13: Register your book with the U.S. Copyright Office within three months after the publication date.
STEP 14: Market your book.

In case anyone is interested, I wrote a full article (11 pages long) covering the above steps, and it's available for FREE at http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com/ ... ing-a-book I sincerely hope these steps are helpful for some folks on this forum.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

ARLEN
Private E-1

Re: 14 STEPS that I took to Self-Publish my book

Postby ARLEN » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:06 pm

Thank you for that helpful breakdown, mikeyboy_esq. I followed a similar procedure when I self-published my e-book, except I just used the KDP cover art program. I guess there were a few steps I forgot though. For instance, I didn't get an LCCN - what is that? I didn't purchase an editorial book review - should I have done that and how does one go about doing it? Also, uploading files to a distributor website - is that just for print books? I uploaded my novel digitally only to Amazon KDP. Any help with marketing tips would also be appreciated. Thanks!

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:34 pm

As far as I'm aware, you can only get an LCCN for print books (not eBooks), but I could be wrong. In any case, I don't think you are required to get an LCCN for print books either. But I got one for my book b/c most print books that are published by traditional publishing companies get an LCCN and post it on the Title page and I wanted my book to look to be of the same quality as that of the traditional publishing companies. If you didn't get an LCCN, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes, when I say upload files, I'm referring to uploading print files (interior file and PDF cover file) onto Createspace and Ingram Spark. I'm also referring to doing what you did for ebook files (which is to upload the cover file and interior eBook file onto KDP). I hope that helps. Please let me know if anyone has any other questions or thoughts.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:26 pm

I should add that Step 14 (Marketing the book) is the HARDEST! Probably b/c I have control over the other steps, but zero control over others' decision whether to buy my book or not (all I can do is spread the word).
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:18 pm

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:12 pm

Thanks for the reply. Just my opinion, but I respectfully disagree with your point about the front cover. Just because someone is intelligent enough to write a book doesn't mean that he or she is talented at book cover design (which is more of an art form). Yes, you can do a simple template for the book cover design to save money, but the self-made book cover will usually look like it's self-made. If you look at the monthly book cover design contest published on www.thebookcoverdesign.com, you will see dozens of covers and the covers that are professionally designed are usually obvious and stand out from the self-created covers. In my case, my self-published book is competing against several that are published by traditional publishing companies, so I really need my book to look as professional as possible.

I do agree with you that marketing makes a big difference in how well a book sells, but when I browse books online, the cover is the first thing I see. I won't bother to read a description or the book reviews of a book if the cover looks sloppy/unprofessional.

It's funny that you mentioned having to sell stacks of books in the garage... I'm so glad that I self-published my book in 2016 when POD Printers are around rather than 10 years ago when your only option was to buy books in bulk. That would have sucked! :)
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:

Return to General Questions & Discussions