anyone made their book into an online course?

brandon459
Private E-1

anyone made their book into an online course?

Postby brandon459 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:35 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has turned their book into an online course to generate some cash flow? Is that something you might consider doing?

Getting the attention (and commitment) of a good publisher is hard and self-publishing has some drawbacks. I've been struggling with what to do with my non-fiction 'how-to' book and was thinking of combining my skills in e-learning course development with my passion for writing into an online course and selling it that way.

Question - would any of you fellow authors pay for a course like that? A course where you to learn everything to make your book into a fee-based, online course for YOUR book's audience? I would love to know if there's an appetite out there for my idea...

Thank you kindly in advance :)

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: anyone made their book into an online course?

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:55 am

I expect it would depend on what you teach "how to do" and whether you have sufficiently strong credentials to back up your advice. Some fields, like book-publishing, are already well covered where you can receive free instruction. The hobby magazines (photography, pottery, woodcarving, origami, home improvement, etc.,) often offer free advice.

Another drawback I would find is that I like to have a book or sheet of instructions right there with me on the job when attempting something new. I would hate to refer frequently to a screen.

Unless yours is a highly-specialized area of expertise, I doubt you will find many students. But I wish you the best of luck with your project!
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

brandon459
Private E-1

Re: anyone made their book into an online course?

Postby brandon459 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:29 am

Hi Oldtimer. Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it!

Return to General Questions & Discussions