[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Royalties : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Royalties

Oldtimer
Colonel

Royalties

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:36 pm

Next Friday, Amazon.com will be paying the royalties for sales of two print copies of Staying Alive, bought by a cousin on mine in England. How much will I get? 28 cents, total (that's right, 14 cents each). I wish my cousin had told me he was going to buy those copies. I could have sent them to him and, even if he'd paid me the author copy price plus postage, it wouldn't have cost him anything like the $50 he forked out. Still, it's nice to know what to expect for future print sales. :lol:
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

katherinepiercebv@gmail.com
Private E-1

Re: Royalties

Postby katherinepiercebv@gmail.com » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:55 pm

I just wonder of the difference between amazon and other publishing companies in giving royalties.

nonfictionwriter
Private E-1

Postby nonfictionwriter » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:56 am

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:54 pm

Actually, the royalty turned out to be $2.80 ($1.40) each so I was pleasantly surprised. Cost to me of one copy of "Staying Alive" from CreateSpace is $5.05, but P+P has to be added which varies on the quantity ordered, of course. The paperback is available on Amazon at $12.99.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:26 am

I am one-third of the way through a three-month trial of KDP Select. There have been zero sales or downloads, but I did have 31 page reads of one book. This morning I learned that I earned 15 cents from those 31 page reads.

I would laugh if I weren't so disappointed. I will wait out the other two months to see if business improves. I don't expect it will.

There has been no interest shown in the KDP paperbacks, either.

Feeling very down.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:57 pm

Don't feel down Dorothy, I don't think it reflects at all on the quality of your work. There's people out there that would be very glad to read your books, it's just that they don't know how to find them.
The Rule of Three

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:46 am

Yes, discovery is a big problem these days.

With all the new media and publishing tools we have now, and so many people using them, there's just too much creative content being released - books, games, music, videos - such that matching up potential customers with products they might enjoy has become an unsolved problem. In video games, for example, on the Apple app store or the Steam store for PC games, there are now hundreds and sometimes even thousands of new products released every day. Titles that have the most marketing grunt behind them will rise to the top of the "new releases" charts, and the vast majority of people browsing will generally never click past the first page of search results. This means that large numbers of less well recognised products - some of them even of high quality and potentially just what the customer is looking for - will sink into the morass of obscurity very quickly, and that's also why every time you look at the "top selling" app or book lists you keep seeing the same big-name titles week after week, with only the occasional blip of an indie title that might have gone viral for some reason. Publishers often spend thousands or even millions on tuning their ads and search engine optimisation (basically, keywords and priority bumps) to force their product to show up in that first page of results on the various stores, and while the stores make the right noises about trying to improve discovery for the little guys, they are quite understandably unwilling to change this very lucrative process that favours the publishers with deep pockets.

I don't have any stats for KDP and other ebook marketplaces that allow self pub, but I'd imagine they are at similar levels of saturation and reliance on marketing muscle. It's all dirtier than a fifth ace, but I don't think anything is going to change any time soon. The best approach for a small self pub author without a traditional publisher behind you to take care of all this marketing stuff, in my opinion is to build grassroots popularity among friends, internet presence on forums and social media, and so on, and hope that enough interest from those quarters will cause the store algorithms to move you up into a position on the search results where you might have a chance to go viral. There's no easy answers, really, unless you have a billionaire uncle with strong marketing contacts. :D
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:27 am

Thank you for the shoulder, Wednesday. And for your take on self-publishing, cynicalwanderer.

Out of the blue yesterday, I received notification from Underground Book Reviews to say that the reviewer I chose for Pick Your Planet had declined, and asking if I wanted to choose someone else. There was another reviewer on the list and she seemed right up my alley - quirky, full of humor, and mainly interested in middle grade, so I looked into what I had to do. This wouldn't be a free review. Because I am a 'certified' (always knew I was barmy) writer on UBR, I could buy an Assigned Review. Assigned Reviews (not necessarily positive ones) are published and seen by a wide audience. Perks include: choice of reviewer, speedy return (review published within 7 weeks), simultaneous posting on Amazon and Goodreads, option to read the review before it is published, option to keep negative reviews private.

Sounds good. I admit I was tempted, but then I turned to pricing. An Assigned Review would set me back at least $283.50, but that could increase to $369 because Pick Your Planet is a Certified book. I gulped. Am I really that desperate for validation? I could pay for the review monthly on PayPal, but, fundamentally, what I believe I would be doing is giving in to vanity publishing. Worse, there could be no increase in sales after the review is published. It could be just more money down the drain.

So I'm torn. I DO want an unbiased, critical review of my work. I DO NOT want to be tarnished with the vanity brush. Could I kid myself into believing this would be a legitimate marketing expense?

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:33 pm

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:23 pm

I've never used KDP Select/Kindle Unlimited for my Kindle eBooks, but I have heard several bad comments from people who have used it. I get the impression that most authors will get next to zero if they publish their Kindle eBook on KDP Select/KU.

As far as royalties in general (not including KDP Select/KU), I have found that your retail pricing makes a big difference in how much you get from each book as well as who you choose to distribute your book (CreateSpace, KDP, Ingram). One thing I recently discovered is that if distribute my paperback directly through Ingram Spark, then I can earn a more royalties per book than if I distribute my paperback through CreateSpace and choose to participate in CS's distribution thru Ingram's catalogue. At least that is how it appears to me. Someone chime in if I am mistaken about that.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

Next

Return to General Questions & Discussions