Customer service

Oldtimer
Colonel

Customer service

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:11 am

I used CreaterSpace to self-publish my family history and ordered 38 copies in early November which arrived in very good time. However, it seems that ink must have got onto some rollers during the assembly process and eight copies had ink smudges on at least nine pages in each book. I reported this to CreateSpace and sent photocopies of a couple of the smudges. These photocopies lost color during the reproduction process and didn't appear much to complain about. I hadn't ordered any spares because of the expense (each book cost me $22.13) so I couldn't afford to 'lose' any copies. I need not have worried. Just over twenty-four hours later I received an e-mail from CreateSpace which apologized for the faulty books and telling me they were sending (completely free of charge) eight more copies by premium shipping which should arrive by Tuesday, the 28th Nov. Thus I will be able to meet my goal of shipping all the books overseas by the end of November.

Now that's what I call customer service. Thank you, CreateSpace.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

wdarcy
Major

Re: Customer service

Postby wdarcy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:48 am

Wow, that really is great service! So glad it all worked out for you, Dorothy. And Happy Thanksgiving two days late! :)

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:02 pm

There's a rule I was taught when I was trained in customer service. When a person has a good experience, on average, they tell one person. When they have a bad experience, on average, they tell nine people.

As a result, it warms my heart to see someone "go public" with good experiences.

It's also good to hear that some businesses still put a priority on good service.

Thanks for reporting that, Oldtimer.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Thank you, Warren and Rob. I put my heart and soul into this family history which I am giving away as Christmas presents to cousins in eight other countries. I was crushed when I saw the blemishes and expected to have a hassle getting some of them replaced free of charge. CreaterSpace asked me to return the faulty copies and provided a prepaid label, and I did that today. I have only one fear about doing that. I can't see any reason for CS not shredding or otherwise destroying the faulty copies, but what if they don't? I gave my assurance that only family members would receive copies (several of them confessed to skeletons in their cupboards). In the past I have found copies of my self-published books advertised for sale on Amazon when I haven't even sold one copy! The only sales channel for the family history is through CreateSpace (no Amazon, no Kindle, no B&N etc.). Am I being paranoid?
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:31 pm

I would ask for written verification from Createspace that they have been destroyed. I imagine they wanted the blemished copies back simply to ensure that you weren't getting free replacements and still "used" the blemish copies (ie, weren't getting more copies than you actually paid for).

RobTheThird
Private E-1

Postby RobTheThird » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:47 pm

Oldtimer wrote:
> Thank you, Warren and Rob. I put my heart and soul into this family history
> which I am giving away as Christmas presents to cousins in eight other
> countries. I was crushed when I saw the blemishes and expected to have a
> hassle getting some of them replaced free of charge. CreaterSpace asked me
> to return the faulty copies and provided a prepaid label, and I did that
> today. I have only one fear about doing that. I can't see any reason for CS
> not shredding or otherwise destroying the faulty copies, but what if they
> don't? I gave my assurance that only family members would receive copies
> (several of them confessed to skeletons in their cupboards). In the past I
> have found copies of my self-published books advertised for sale on Amazon
> when I haven't even sold one copy! The only sales channel for the family
> history is through CreateSpace (no Amazon, no Kindle, no B&N etc.). Am
> I being paranoid?
What's that saying? Oh yeah, "Just 'cause I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get me."

Make sure that you've got all those promises in writing. If it isn't in writing, they can claim it wasn't said.

But, given their response so far, odds are they want to use the blemished copies to investigate how it happened. Frankly, I think they're also going to try to determine if it was a printing error, shipping error, or user error. Which makes sense to me.

Return to General Questions & Discussions