Mark Cokers 21 predictions for 2013

Moderator: TerryRodgers

pls

Mark Cokers 21 predictions for 2013

Postby pls » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:59 pm

http://blog.smashwords.com/

… in which he states that e-books will pass print books in number next year and which e-book source will make the largest gain in sales. Which one? You might be surprised.

wondo

Re: Mark Cokers 21 predictions for 2013

Postby wondo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:15 am

Interesting.
Thanks, Paul.
A garden is a place not just for growing plants. It is a place to grow the soul as well.

http://www.mossyfeetbooks.com/

http://www.facebook.com/ae.mableson

http://www.indianaplaces.com/

http://www.aemableson.com

shadowwalker

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:33 am

Some funny, others wishful thinking. Had to smile at the price of ebooks declining - unless he figures authors no longer see 'making a living at writing' as a goal - or even 'making money at writing' as one. Personally, I hope the price increases to reflect their value - much better for authors that way.

Interesting read, anyway.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

TerryRodgers

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:44 am

shadowwalker wrote:Some funny, others wishful thinking. Had to smile at the price of ebooks declining - unless he figures authors no longer see 'making a living at writing' as a goal - or even 'making money at writing' as one. Personally, I hope the price increases to reflect their value - much better for authors that way.

Interesting read, anyway.

I'm assuming you mean trade authors, Shadow? I believe ebooks prices can come down some and authors can maintain their profit numbers. This is a sore topic for many trade authors I've spoken to. There is no good reason publishers should be charging close to or the same price for an ebook than a printed book. Most of the paperbacks I purchase are for this reason. I'm not going to pay $6.95 for a ebook when I can purchase the paperback for $7.95 or less because I'm a B&N member. Once a novel goes mass market paperback, the ebook should not be more than $3.99-$4.99. I agree they shouldn't lower to $.99 or even $2.99 because there needs to be a separation between self and trade, and publishers do provide services such as editing and cover design.

shadowwalker

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:03 am

This idea that ebooks should be cheaper than print is really a myth. Other than the actual printing/distribution costs (widely accepted as about 10% of the total), all other costs are the same. Add in all the formatting that has to be done for the various e-readers, and even that difference decreases. Publishers still have to pay acquisition costs; still have to pay editing costs; still have to pay marketing costs; still have to pay publicity costs; still have to pay all the same costs as they do for the print versions - so why is there this belief that ebooks are somehow that much cheaper to produce?

Because self-publishers decided to practically give away their hard work (or do give it away) just to get their names out there. And by now, that marketing ploy is so widespread, cheap price doesn't mean anything as far as 'publicity'. Everybody loses.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

TerryRodgers

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:08 am

pls wrote:http://blog.smashwords.com/

… in which he states that e-books will pass print books in number next year and which e-book source will make the largest gain in sales. Which one? You might be surprised.

Interesting article. I had a chance to sit in on a panel Mark was on at ThrillerFest. Very nice man. What he has done to help the SP market is astounding. To think that only four years ago, how little the ebook market was compared to today. What I would really like to know is, are there better numbers about self-publishing? For instance, how many SP ebooks came out last year? What was the total number of sales in volume for those ebook? How many of those authors sold more than 5,000 ebooks of one title? More than one title? Maybe a range would be even better. For instance:

500,000 SP ebooks in 2102 (Is it this high?)
13,000,000 SP ebooks sold in 2012
1,000 authors - sold more than 5,000 ebooks of a single title
15,000 authors - 1,000 - 5,000
25,000 authors - 200 - 1,000
300,000 authors - less than 200

I think these are the type of numbers that really matter. Am I even close, or is it more like 100 authors sold more than 5,000 ebooks of a single title? Forty-five percent of the market doesn't tell me anything nor does it mean SP is doing great. I know an author that released 15 back novels to ebook this year. He'd all ready sold 10 million novels. Didn't J.K. Rowling finally release her novels to ebook this year? That had to be a staggering number sold. To really put to rest if SP is doing as great as the people that live it say it is, I want to see some numbers.

Paul, maybe you know if there is such a beast?

TerryRodgers

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:26 am

I found some numbers from Bowker. In 2011, the number of SP printed books (not ebooks) was 148,000 which represented 43% of the traditional print. So that would mean 344,000 total number of books (traditional and SP) released. The rest of the numbers in the article are a little confusing so I don't have the exact amount of ebooks that were SP.

http://www.bowker.com/en-US/aboutus/press_room/2012/pr_10242012.shtml

I'll keep searching.

pls

Postby pls » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:09 pm

TerryRodgers wrote:… I want to see some numbers.

I don't know, Terry. So I assign YOU to go on the quest for the beast, lol!

(No time limit designated. Report as you find data.)

TerryRodgers

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:45 am

pls wrote:
TerryRodgers wrote:… I want to see some numbers.

I don't know, Terry. So I assign YOU to go on the quest for the beast, lol!

(No time limit designated. Report as you find data.)

Gee, thanks. :lol:

Bowker promises to have all that information in their report all for the discounted price of $199.00.

pls

Postby pls » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:21 pm

TerryRodgers wrote:… Bowker promises to have all that information in their report all for the discounted price of $199.00.

Oh, gawd. Bowker. I didn't listen to Mark Coker two years ago and bought five ISBN's from Bowker instead of getting one for free from Smashwords. All it got me was spam. No publicity. At $9.95 per ISBN.

Return to General Questions & Discussions