Non-Fiction Book - Guide/Feedback

Join fellow writers here for encouragement and accountability. Look for a writing buddy in your genre or work with someone to set and reach your writing goals.
learnerforlife
Private E-1

Non-Fiction Book - Guide/Feedback

Postby learnerforlife » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:30 pm

Hi Writers and Everyone Else Who Loves The World of Writers, Books and Reading,

I was writing a new book - that is a non-fiction book and deals with a few very interesting and exciting concepts -things I have personally experienced. I didn't want to reveal much here due to me private nature. This also happens to be my first post here.

I was looking for someone who could give me feedback and be someone who helps me polish a rough diamond. At the moment I have been writing the book, and I write from my heart. I need someone with sharp tools who can craft a nice, shiny diamond out of a rough one.

Drop me a message and if I feel we can go ahead, would be happy to share more.

Thanks and happy writing to all!

pls
Site Admin

Re: Non-Fiction Book - Guide/Feedback

Postby pls » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:49 pm

You're asking for services which normally would cost you several thousand dollars. You surely didn't have that in mind, did you?

Instead, post an excerpt in the non-fiction critique section here. You'll receive several critiques that should be of use to you.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:38 pm

paul's right... you're looking for a professional editor/rewriter/ghostwriter who will make your rough draft into a polished ms that will be publishable... and no pro can afford to do that for free...

i do provide such writing services, but even at the heavily discounted rates i can charge, since i don't have to do it for a living any more, would most likely be more than you can afford... and even with the best rewrite possible, there's still no guarantee a publisher will take it on, so you could well be paying out money you'll never be able to recoup from book sales...

that said, i also mentor aspiring writers [which is free] and can always take on another mentee... so, if having a mentor would help, you can email me any time at all...

love and hugs, maia
maia3maia@hotmail.com
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

learnerforlife
Private E-1

Postby learnerforlife » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:36 pm

Thanks a ton to everyone for the honest feedback. The points are well noted that such a service needs a professional editor. I also appreciate the offer of having a mentor. At the moment, I have been enjoying writing. The process is lovely - with all its errors and typos, I have turned of spell check and grammar check and am just writing. Will go back and polish things once I finish.

Any other suggestions are always appreciated!

Lovely being in a group of helpful and nice people! Happy writing!

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:49 pm

I would not turn off spelling and grammar. I have mine set to grammar and style with everything checked. That way I can determine if a word, phrase, or sentence needs to be changed. You learn by seeing the mistakes and correcting them.

learnerforlife
Private E-1

Postby learnerforlife » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:50 pm

Terry, thanks for the suggestion. Sometimes the red markers under the words distract me from just writing. Once it is done, then will go back and see what all needs to be corrected, fixed and improved. We all have our own styles.

learnerforlife
Private E-1

Postby learnerforlife » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:36 pm

I have not been here for long - but I must that maia for being such great help and one of the best Mentors! I think she is great because she goes just beyond writing and looks at all parts - right from the subject at hand to the way the audience will look at things. She is a great soul and while my interactions have been for a short period of time she gives incredible advice and a great Mentor!

I don't know how she is able to dedicate so much time and effort. A great Soul indeed. May God bless her!

learnerforlife
Private E-1

Postby learnerforlife » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:11 am

I wanted to share with everyone here, I have been writing more. Right now I am in the stage of writing away at my laptop - without thinking much. Does anyone else do that?

I was wondering, should I on the side also be writing articles regarding my book and putting them out to create buzz? Or should I just finish my book and then get to all of that!

Also I find it nice to listen to music and write, does anyone else also do that?

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:30 am

I wanted to share with everyone here, I have been writing more. Right now I am in the stage of writing away at my laptop - without thinking much.

...bravo!...

Does anyone else do that?

...i do... and i suspect most seasoned and professional writers do, as well...

I was wondering, should I on the side also be writing articles regarding my book and putting them out to create buzz?

...not worth wasting time on till you have a completed ms...

Or should I just finish my book and then get to all of that!

...yes... and it's not necessary to 'create a buzz' if you're going to be querying agents, to get a traditional [= paying] publisher... but is mandatory, if you intend to only self-publish...

Also I find it nice to listen to music and write, does anyone else also do that?

...i only do so when i'm writing something that i've set in some part of the world i've spent time in, so playing the local music will help me to re-experience local culture/people/ambience...

...but i'd never play any music with english lyrics, as the words i'd be hearing on the 'outside' would interfere with the ones i'm conjuring up in my mind to set down on the page...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

learnerforlife
Private E-1

Postby learnerforlife » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Thanks for the lovely advice! Will continue to write and finish the Manuscript and not worry about creating any buzz as of now, till I don't get an Agent on board and have a publisher in place. Had gone out to a local coffee shop to write. It is fun.

This is a nice place to come and share ideas, thanks m!

Return to Goal Posts