[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Looking for a buddy or mentor : Goal Posts • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Looking for a buddy or mentor

Join fellow writers here for encouragement and accountability. Look for a writing buddy in your genre or work with someone to set and reach your writing goals.
Sharon51
Private E-1

Looking for a buddy or mentor

Postby Sharon51 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:32 pm

Hi, I'm new to this site and new to writing. I have an idea for a Romance that I am starting to develop with the Snowflake Method and would enjoy having a buddy or buddies to share with or a mentor to help me along. Unfortunately I am not confident of my writing, so I could use some moral support as well as constructive criticism.

My name is Sharon and I'm 51 yo. I live in Iowa on a farm with my hubby and black lab. I have a chronic illness and am disabled, so I have time to write, though not always the energy. My story idea involves a woman, her adopted niece and a veteran of Afghanistan with PTSD who has a service dog. There is romance and self-esteem building and some war action. I'm hoping this doesn't get too dark, but I would like to highlight some of the problems the Veterans face "back home".

A friend suggested the Snowflake Method for story development so I am giving it a try. I'm stuck on step 1 (LOL): identify your target audience. I've been thinking a lot about this and whether my story will be of interest to my target audience. This started as a YA Fiction story, but I realized that a young adult probably wouldn't want to read about these kind of issues. So I keep upping the age of the target reader; currently, I hope adults will be interested in this type of story. I'm thinking something along the lines of The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks.

So, if you are interested in being a buddy or a mentor, please let me know. Looking forward to hearing from you!
Sharon

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Looking for a buddy or mentor

Postby mammamaia » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:50 am

sounds like more 'romance' than anything else, sharon... and market wouldn't be YA, unless the niece is the mc and she's 20 or under...

love and hugs, maia
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Sharon51
Private E-1

Postby Sharon51 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:06 am

Sharon

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:30 am

how could it fit 'documentary fiction'? [whatever that's supposed to mean]

'documentary' refers to films of real events/people/places, not to written mss, so i don't see how it can relate to either writing, or fiction...

and if what you've laid out as your plot is not a series of true events involving real people, then it's just a novel... and given the storyline, most likely fits the 'romance' genre...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

largo233
Private E-1

Postby largo233 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:33 pm

Hello. I don't know if you know anyone in this situation, but would you like some insight from an Afghanistan war veteran (myself)? I never saw combat, but I can tell you about what I saw, if you wish. I don't mind sharing.

johnhozy
Private E-1

Postby johnhozy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi.....Thanks Sharon,your idea is great :| :)

Return to Goal Posts