[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Would anyone help? : Goal Posts • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Would anyone help?

Join fellow writers here for encouragement and accountability. Look for a writing buddy in your genre or work with someone to set and reach your writing goals.
pls
Site Admin

Re: Would anyone help?

Postby pls » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:19 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

CMalcheski
Private E-1

Postby CMalcheski » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:19 pm

I have a different take on all this. Nothing you posted was in any way disrespectful and I think the response you got was shameful. You showed respect and you should have gotten respect in return. It was a very honest question and had people taken the time to process it and understand what you were actually asking, none of these responses would have been forthcoming.

As a software developer I run into this all the time in various forums - to the point where I will absolutely not post questions anymore. The work I do is very nuts-and-bolts, very deep, very heavy duty. Most people cannot answer most of what I ask. Instead of just coming out and saying that - or saying nothing at all - they attack the question, judge the question, invalidate the question ("why do it that way, that way is stupid"), etc. I post legitimate questions very respectfully. I get attacked in response. There is no excuse for it. None.

I created a Kickstarter.com project last week. They say it takes 1-2 days for approval; Monday July 28 will be day 6 and I am still waiting for approval. You must create a business account on Amazon.com, who I presume (possibly wrongly but I suspect not) owns kickstarter. Between Amazon and Kickstarter, they take 10% of what you bring in, and you either get 100% or you get nothing. It takes DAYS to get a good, solid, proper presentation set up and jump through their endless hoops. All for the luxury of giving them 10% for running a web site. So factor that 10% grab into the amount you're setting as your goal. I am absolutely unwilling to hit up my Facebook friends (everybody is different there; do what works for you) so time will tell how much they actually do to warrant that 10% they take. The trend I'm seeing is that stock, out-of-the-box far left projects get funded the fastest and the easiest. I'm going to save the inner city at-risk kids. I'm going to save the planet. That kind of thing. Walk the party line and your chances of getting funded push 100%. Keep that in mind when you're creating the project. And don't be shy on amounts. Some projects there are pushing $1 million and many are getting 750% or higher of their stated goal - but these are usually projects that have a best selling game or book already behind them. I have looked at other crowd funding sites and basically what I came away with is that they do absolutely nothing for you beyond hosting a little web space; for that, they take upwards of 12%. A bigger scam was never run on the public, IMHO. I have my own web site already and being a developer, I maintain it, so I created my own page with the first 2 chapters of my book and a pre-order button - $2 for the e-book when it's done; $1 for the same e-book as a pre-order. I am not posting the link here so I can't be accused of spamming. If you want to look at it as a sample I will send it to you privately. Now that it's up, it's up to me to publicize it. I don't need to give 50% to some publicist who puts in 1 hour on the project. Forget the idea of overnight success or "all in one shot." I am looking at nibbles. I created a Twitter account. I'm creating a Facebook account for the book. I'm joining every forum I can find that seems to be worthwhile, and I join to be an active member - not to push my work. One tiny fraction at a time and over a month, six months, five years, that effort builds and builds and builds. You have to be patient and be willing to build on your own efforts very gradually. Then you remain in control; you get 100% of the money instead of 1% for doing 99% of the work. It's all about patience and perseverance. My girlfriend and I already have plans to start printing our own hard copy books. We'll make mistakes, we'll learn from them, and we'll slowly get better at it.

Everything I mentioned is available to everybody. Most people don't want to do that kind of work, so they do five times that much work chasing a publisher: oh please like me please like me. Then they get $0.15 per copy. I saw a better way; I took it. The key is gradual progress and long-term thinking. Build, don't "find."

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:28 pm

I've read both of your posts.

I think shameful is too harsh a word for the responses DSN got. You haven't been around here long enough to know folks to make such a statement. On the face of it he/she was a new poster who seemed to be looking for financial support from the very people you say are wasting their time and money going the traditional route. He asked, would any of you support this venture? We answered no. What is shameful in that?

DSN handled the responses with grace and respect. You on the other hand jumped into a conversation carrying the baggage you've accumulated from varies other forums and tarred us with the same brush. Not cool. If you took the time to actually read these forums you might find out that we are a pretty encouraging and helpful bunch of folks.

Try getting to know us before you judge us. :mrgreen:
All the best,
Elizabeth

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:12 pm

The original poster didn't post a URL, either. That's not the relevant criterion.

You've made a lot of claims about yourself. I've no reason to doubt them, but would you invest in someone who simply shows up on your front doorstep with "The Next Big Thing"?

On a social level, I have no stake in what you, or the OP, claim yourself to be. But if you expect or even just wish for me to provide money for your venture, then that's business, not personal. No, I don't "owe" you respect or even niceness.

If you want me to invest in you or your venture, *you* owe *me* the assurance that my money is going where I believe it to be going. It is, after all, my hard-earned money.

If you expect me to do business with you, don't act like all the scammers out there who use this exact same tactic to try to convince suckers to send them their money. Or if you *do* use that tactic, don't be surprised when I and others treat you like those scammers.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Previous

Return to Goal Posts