[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Would anyone help? : Goal Posts • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Would anyone help?

Join fellow writers here for encouragement and accountability. Look for a writing buddy in your genre or work with someone to set and reach your writing goals.
DSN423
Private E-1

Would anyone help?

Postby DSN423 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:35 am

Hi there. I'm self publishing a sci fantasy novel for the first time and I'm wondering, would anyone on here donate to a crowd funding page for it on Pubslush if I go through the trouble of making it. I know I'd make some money from my facebook network, and some from the site itself. But would anyone on here support it? I need some extra cash for the initial print, some to pay an online editor, some to pay my cover art designer, and maybe a little extra to support a regional book tour for signings and consignments until I get some momentum. I also want to have an audio version made in the near future. I have a plan to give signed copies and posters as rewards to donors. Just would like some feedback to see how well received it might be on here. Any questions and I'll be happy to answer.

robjvargas
Captain

Re: Would anyone help?

Postby robjvargas » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:17 am

I'm going to be blunt. I like that you're trying to make this succeed. Good for you.

But why should I care? Have you made any effort to establish a relationship with me? Have you given us any indication that our money would actually be used as you claim?

Look, you joined a few days ago, and this is your first post. I know you've written it as a "what if?" question, but let's get to the basics. With your very first post here, you're asking us to GIVE you money. Do you know what kind of person that mimics?

A spammer.

Why should we treat you any differently?
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:08 am

What Rob said!

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:38 am

ditto the ditto!
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:01 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:19 pm

Try Kickstarter.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

DSN423
Private E-1

Postby DSN423 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:03 pm

You guys got me all wrong. I haven't asked for any money at all yet. I haven't got the account ready. I just wanted to know what kind of people supported this sort of thing since I'm new to it. Once the page was made you could see all kinds of stuff about it. I would have sample pages up. Cover art that my friend is currently designing. And a complete list of what my plans are to do with the book.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Okay, so are you using a vanity publisher or a venue like CreateSpace, Smashwords, Amazon, or what? For those, you don't need money up front.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

DSN423
Private E-1

Postby DSN423 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Thank you pls for clearing things up in the PM. Everyone else, I'm sorry about the confusion. I'm just really new to all of this. Not to writing, but to publishing. I've read a lot of great advice from this site. Some things from those who have responded to this post. I meant no disrespect whatsoever.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:41 pm

OP, I was serious about Kickstarter.

But to answer your original question, no, I wouldn't donate. Not unless we were friends or I had followed you/your work for a long time. Maybe not even then, as I only have so much money to give.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Next

Return to Goal Posts