Critiquing Buddy - Could Use One...

Join fellow writers here for encouragement and accountability. Look for a writing buddy in your genre or work with someone to set and reach your writing goals.
krelian877
Private E-2

Critiquing Buddy - Could Use One...

Postby krelian877 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:40 am

OK, so this is another thing I've been weighing, and as I continue to take writing my novel more and more seriously, I realize the need for impartial eyes to see where I'm at. I'm currently sitting at twenty-five pages (a little over 12,000 words as of me writing this small blurb), and this novel is ultimately going to be pretty long. I have other ideas for novels written out and ready to go, so I need to know if the one I'm working on (INTERLUDE) is worth it. Is it engaging? Does the current storyline invoke curiosity and a desire to read on. Stuff agents and ultimately publishers look for. As another aside, I am going to be part of an upcoming webinar a few agents are running concerning "the first ten pages" which I'm sure will be valuable, but I'm unsure of what they are going to tell me, whether it's going to be that my stuff is worthless, or just give advice as to what I have so far. Ultimately though, what I need to know is that my piece thus far is interesting. So, here's what I'm looking for:

1. Please pay attention to some of my word choices and sentences. I'm not worries about syntax or grammar as I'm well enough versed to revise that when I'm done with the first draft.
2. The ability to follow what's going on.
3. The storyline itself. Engaging? Interesting? If it's not is it because of the writing style? Inability to follow? Etc.

Please either inquire within or send me a PM. I am willing to obviously return the favor.

CW
Current Projects: Interlude (on temporary hiatus), Database
Current Word Count: 13,695 , 1,700
Currently reading: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones / Re-reading the Harry Potter series (studying...)

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Critiquing Buddy - Could Use One...

Postby mammamaia » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:00 am

don't do buddies, but i do mentor new writers and provide feedback on the quality of their work... if that would help, you can email me any time...

love and hugs, maia
maia3maia@hotmail.com
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

amanda924
Private E-1

Postby amanda924 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:24 pm

I also thought about doing the "First 10 pages" workshop...ultimately decided I don't have the money for it and I'm not sure I'm ready, anyway...but I hope it's something they do again, I may be interested at a later date. I have just started my novel, and have only completed two chapters thus far. But I feel I'll move along with it fairly quickly - I feel I'm off to a fairly decent start. Please do let me know how the workshop goes, and I would be interested in buddying up with you for critiquing and keeping me motivated. :) Let me know if you're interested in trading the first 10 pages, chapter, etc... -A

krelian877
Private E-2

Postby krelian877 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:35 pm

I will be following up with this after this weekend is over. :)
Currently reading: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones / Re-reading the Harry Potter series (studying...)

amanda924
Private E-1

Postby amanda924 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:47 am

I can't wait to hear how the workshop went! :)

krelian877
Private E-2

Postby krelian877 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:30 am

Still waiting on the agent's final analysis, which is supposed to come by Friday, so we'll see what she says...

amanda924
Private E-1

Postby amanda924 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:25 pm

Hey! Just wondering if you thought the workshop was beneficial. I got another email offering a similar one and am considering it...but would love to hear your thoughts on your experience!

krelian877
Private E-2

Postby krelian877 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:34 am

It was a good experience, and it's worth it. She answered quite a few questions I had, and if you want to see the difference in the writing, check out both of my Interlude posts in the Sci/Fi forum. If you're taking writing seriously, and are looking to publish, then I would spend the 199 for it.

amanda924
Private E-1

Postby amanda924 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:24 am

I will check them out! Thanks for your thoughts!

Return to Goal Posts