[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
2k a day challenge : Goal Posts • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

2k a day challenge

Join fellow writers here for encouragement and accountability. Look for a writing buddy in your genre or work with someone to set and reach your writing goals.
KurtKilbourne
Private E-1

2k a day challenge

Postby KurtKilbourne » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:56 am

Not too long an image started floating around on Pintrest (did I really just admit that?) that shared the average daily word count of many famous authors and their thoughts on the count they shared. They ranged from one-hundred to around ten thousand (good lord :o ).

At the time I had been having trouble finishing a first round of edits for my novel and realized I had about 15,000 words left to add and about 40,000 to copy from journals (never doing that again :oops: ) before I'd actually be done. I decided to give myself a goal of writing 2k words a day and holding myself accountable until I finished. What I found was that, instead of getting in a creative slump and not writing, I'd actually end up writing more a long the lines of 2,000-5,000 words a day and I finished in no time at all.

I see a lot of people looking for writer buddies here and a thought occured to me. Why don't we ALL be each other's writing buddies? Not in a critiquing since, there are other places for that...but let's hold ourselves accountable to write more often. I know I'm new here, but I want to propose the 2k a day challenge. Set yourself a goal (doesn't actually have to be 2k...whatever number you need works just fine, anything more than that goal is just gravy for you) and every day you write, try not to stop until you meet it. Then, come here and post whether you did and if you were over/under.

A couple rules I think should be applied:
1: Be honest. If you wrote 10,000 words that's awesome, but don't lie about it--that's not what this is for.
2: Don't judge. If someone had a rough day and only eeked out 50 words...offer encouragement and let em know those are probably the best 50 damn words ever written in the history of literature.

I'm continuing this with a personal goal of editing two chapters a day (until I hit the total 21) and then I'll start 2k words a day on my next novel when edits are finished. I hope to see ya'll join in :D .

Check out my blog Follow me on Like me on

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: 2k a day challenge

Postby mammamaia » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:44 am

in the 'old days' [which, at nearly 77, i can still recall clearly], the standard goal for seasoned writers was 10 pages a day... which, at 250 words per double-spaced typewritten page, came out to approximately 2,500 words... so 2k is not out of the question for those who are writing full time and not having to also juggle a job, running a household and raising a family...

for those whose available time for writing is minimal, any number of words set down on screen or paper each day is work well done and progress made...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:10 am

I believe I could definitely do 2k a day if it were my full time job, although fulltime writing to me would be a max of 4 hours writing. The rest of the time would be for the business side of writing. I'm in editing mode now, but when in writing mode, I shoot for 1k per day, which takes about 2 hours. The 1k per day got easier with my latest novel as I no longer write toward an established outline. I'm excited to see if I can write another novel (would be my 5th) without an outline. The first 3 were outlined.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:33 am

2k. I can do that, it's pretty much my goal when I'm writing. A couple of hours a day stolen from crappy TV shows, mindless candy-themed games, pointless flame wars, inane photographs of my food. Currently I'm editing, but after that I'll be writing again and glad to be spitting out 2k each day. I like the deadlines, I need some kind of external pressure to work, even if it's some abstract goal.

Camp Nanowrimo is happening right now, where people get put into virtual cabins of eight, and they have to write a set amount each day. I did it last year and the year before and it's the reason why I have so many dang words to edit right now.
The Rule of Three

KurtKilbourne
Private E-1

Postby KurtKilbourne » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:45 am

Check out my blog Follow me on Like me on

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:19 pm

The Rule of Three

Triptych
Private E-1

Postby Triptych » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:28 am

I am averaging about 2K a day on weekdays. I usually take weekends off to recharge myself and to think about the storyline and how to further the narrative. :mrgreen:

Return to Goal Posts