[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
My Nonfiction Book Goal : Goal Posts • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

My Nonfiction Book Goal

Join fellow writers here for encouragement and accountability. Look for a writing buddy in your genre or work with someone to set and reach your writing goals.
JenBarber
Private E-1

My Nonfiction Book Goal

Postby JenBarber » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:07 pm

JenBarber
Private E-1

My Nonfiction Book Goal

Postby JenBarber » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:07 pm

I'm working on smaller pieces simultaneously, but my nonfiction book goal is 1000 words/day. Which should put me at a very rough draft around June too. But I have a lot of additional research and interviews to do, so the completion date, querying an agent, is more like 6-9 months from now. I have 12,000 words, but it's an extremely rough 12,000 words. I started this on March 12th, so I haven't been making as much progress as I'd like. I hope having some accountability helps motivate me.

This is a comprehensive desk reference on bipolar disorder, which includes personal accounts on numerous bipolar-related topics. The interviewing process is quite time-consuming.

Thanks in advance for the support!
<>Jennifer

JenBarber
Private E-1

RE: My Nonfiction Book Goal

Postby JenBarber » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:14 pm

OK, I made my goal, and then I met it! Woohoo! Just wrote 1100 words, and I may keep on going.

I think this is a good idea.

:)

<>Jennifer

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:55 pm

Congrats!

This is really impressive--a non-fiction. They require so much research and interviewing.

You've already started keeping track of your goal, that's wonderful. Keep up the good work, this is the best way to get motivated. Don't feel silly about coming in here and telling us that you've met your goal for the day--everyday.

Wish you the best with this book.

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

Postby KarenRankowitz » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:14 am

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:39 am

Jen - do you have a home for your project yet?  If not, the really nice thing about nonfiction is that you don't have to wait for the manuscript to be completed to start querying agents!  A good detailed synopsis, outline, and some sample material, and you're ready!

Congrats on meeting your goal, too!

JenBarber
Private E-1

Postby JenBarber » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:26 am

Thanks for the support!

I posted in here a week or so ago about querying, but everyone seemed to think that unless you're already published or famous, you still need a completed work for nonfiction before querying.

I'm plugging along. I decided a survey, with open text boxes at the end for personal accounts, might generate more input. So I've been working on that. I hope to complete it today and submit to a couple of friends, who critique a lot of work for me.

I didn't do my 1000 words yesterday, but I was working on the survey :)

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:31 am

Either I missed that thread or misread it as fiction.  If you're doing non-fiction, it would make good sense to start querying as soon as you have a thorough outline of what the book will cover and what experts will be used for the book.  The reason I suggest this is because if you can get an agent in on the ground floor who can find a home for your book, you'll be better equipped to write the book to the ideas of the publisher. 

I'd definitely continue working just as hard, but I'd sure encourage you to work on a good query about why this book will be different than other resource books on bipolar disorder, who the target demographic is, and what will be included.

Good luck!

JenBarber
Private E-1

Postby JenBarber » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:36 am

Thanks Lisa,

I'm trying to solve world hunger with this book, and I think I may need to cull a bit. I want to first finish gathering research, print the whole thing, then lay my chapters out on the ground, group them logically, and see what might be extraneous and what I've missed. Then it would probably be a good time to work on the query.

You've been very helpful to me since I joined. Thanks so much for your insight!

<>Jennifer

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:36 am

Good luck with the book, Jen!

What made you want to write about bipolar disorder? Hope your writing goes well!

Next

Return to Goal Posts