Writing With A Mission

Join fellow writers here for encouragement and accountability. Look for a writing buddy in your genre or work with someone to set and reach your writing goals.
ISDAMan
Private E-1

Writing With A Mission

Postby ISDAMan » Sun May 17, 2015 6:50 am

Collaborators Wanted

I'd like to put together a collection of short fiction, suspense and mystery, to sell through Amazon. My goal is to have this be a recurring series showcasing many talented writers. There would be 4-6 writers per volume and a cover artist/illustrator. I’d write and secure important functions, required formatting, final editing, submissions, and operations. We’d all work for royalties and collaborate using Google Drive and Google Docs.

I think a group of writers could benefit from each other’s networking efforts. We could bring more exposure to each of us than any of us could do on our own. On top of that, knowing that fellow writers are going to be bringing their “A Game” to the same venue we are each sharing is a strong potential motivator to push the skills envelope.

Customers would initially be drawn by way of our personal contacts and striking cover art. Growth would occur because of the expanding knowledge of our excellent writing and surprising variation. Also, showcasing new writers to the series would be a mainstay for our expansion. Of course, this model could eventually branch out into other genres. The more we build success in the future, the more volumes from the past will become desirable. I envision volumes as being collectable. Hence, the first projects may not be big outings. This is a project that becomes successful by making steady gains in readership rather than a homerun here or there.

As for the content, I’d be looking for pieces that push people’s buttons — shock them — make them squirm, face reality — but steer clear of vulgarity. I suppose that it’s a controversial limitation. Still, I’d don’t want any profanity. This will actually make for much stronger writing seeing how an author is going to have to dig deep to provide authentic character expression without profanity. When writing is done well, no one ever notices that there is no profanity. Furthermore, I’d like most contributions to be dialogue heavy. I want readers to really connect with our tales, not just be told our tales.

Here are two sample passages of a contribution I’d make:

[ [ [ “I’ve done everything I can possibly do for you. You’re just not being the man you ought to be, Ted.”
“ — ”

“Here I am expecting, only, your second child and — you don’t show any affection toward me”

“ — ”

“I am the mother of your children, Ted. I am who you vowed to trust, honor, and respect. I’m not just some run of the mill hoochie mama. I have feelings too, Ted. I have feelings too! — Ted! Answer me, Ted!”

“You haven’t asked a question.”

“So! What are you thinking? I’m just trying to talk to myself here?!”

“ — ”

Sophie pounds her fists on his chest a few times backing him up against a wall. When he does not respond still, she slaps him across his lower jaw with her left hand. With her right, she grabs the first hard object she can get her hand on. What she grabs is a hardened glass pot from a bakeware set.

“Don’t you dare ignore me!”

Ted blocks her strike. He fends off several more clawing blows as the pot shatters on the floor. He grabs her wrists. She goes for the groin. Ted receives a phalanx of slaps to the head while on his knees. The best thing he can think to do is to stagger to his feet and run to a back room slamming the door behind him. He flips the lock. Sophie is quick, right there when the door slams. It hits her in the face. She backs up and rams the door open. A trail of blood from her slashed ankles and bare feet marks her path on the carpet. Ted goes out the window, over the bushes, and through the woods. Instead of going to Grandma's house, Ted ends up in jail because Sophie cries and plays up her bruises and wounds for the police. ] ] ]

[ [ [ “Come on! This is the men’s room!”

“Well, where else can your wife sneak a moment alone with you, Ted? The baby misses you.”

“J-...jus I can’t believe this! Who does something like this?!”

“Ted. Your brand new baby daughter misses you. She can’t sleep knowing you’re not there at home with us. And Sophie Jr. cries all the time.”

Stressed, he starts running his fingers through his hair ending up in a pull. “How did you find me here?”

“Ted there’s not a woman in this world that knows you like I do. I’m the only woman that can fill your whole body with electricity just by touching her fingertips to your back.” She takes a step toward him.

“Stop!”

She pauses and smiles. “This is my opportunity to talk to you… for our family’s sake. She never could have loved you like I love you.”

“Sophie, this is not about anyone else. It’s about you and me and — it… it’s over. It’s over between us.”

“ — ” Sophie responds with a slow head shake, doe eyes and, a slight smile.

“It’s just over.” She steps toward him again. Ted lurches back into a stall with one hand on the wall and the other on the door ready to lock himself in. “Stay back!!! There’s something wrong with you. You’re not right in the head.”

What Sophie says next evokes a quizzical and convulsing head wobble in Ted. With a quickness, it is followed by wide eyed fear and trembling as he terrorizes over what she might have done to him this time. “Ted. I know that the police want you for this. But, I want you more.” She strokes downward on his scruffy cheeks. “While you were on your yearly sabbatical hiking through the mountainside, they’ve been asking questions about your life out on the ranch with that hussie. I told them that you had already agreed to come back home to me prior to your trek. You’d better do the same.”

“No! W-w-w… No! What are you talking about?!” Ted wags his erect finger.

Sophie’s shoulders drop as her expression becomes blank, Head dropping to the side, “She fell into a woodchipper, Ted.”, her shoulders give a slight roll. ] ] ]
Last edited by ISDAMan on Sun May 17, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pls
Site Admin

Re: Writing With A Mission

Postby pls » Sun May 17, 2015 10:07 am

So what are your plans for compensating cooperating authors?
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

ISDAMan
Private E-1

Postby ISDAMan » Sun May 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Each writer and graphic artist who comes aboard would take a 10% share of the aforementioned royalties for the volume contributed to. I should also have mentioned that the maximum size goal for each volume would be 15,000 words. I want the readers to feel like they are getting something substantive.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sun May 17, 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks for the update.

May I say that you have an awfully cute avatar?
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon May 18, 2015 11:49 am

Good luck with your endeavor.

I do have to say that your writing needs a lot of work. I stopped at the second exclamation point. You can do better. You do not need exclamation points to make your emotions come across.

The second thing I notice with what I read is how many times the wife says Ted.

Does this woman lift weights? Doors are not that easy to break down.

ISDAMan
Private E-1

Postby ISDAMan » Mon May 18, 2015 5:06 pm

TerryRodgers, I thank you for your critique.

Return to Goal Posts