goals for the year ahead

Join fellow writers here for encouragement and accountability. Look for a writing buddy in your genre or work with someone to set and reach your writing goals.
LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Re: goals for the year ahead

Postby LMGilbert » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:51 am

While I wait for the local round of critiquing to begin (once monthly), I'm busy in the critique centre of this forum. Generally focusing on short pieces and pieces that appeal to me or strike a chord somewhere, and trying to give critiques when I see that none has been offered yet.

cl91
Private E-1

Postby cl91 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:07 pm

I've had several years of lapse in my writing and my goal for 2013 is to renew my passion for writing and get published asap!

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:59 pm

I'm meeting my goal of offering critiques in this forum, and waiting eagerly for the local group to send me my crit subjects!

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Did two critiques locally last month, & keeping up with offering crits on this forum. This month, I've submitted a piece for the local group to critique! Unexpectedly nerve-wracking....

Woot woot! Yet another rejection, but somewhat encouraging comments this time! What a pleasure to get the feeling they actually read and enjoyed your work, and are genuinely sorry not to be able to use it!

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:26 pm

Sounds like you are making some great progress. I have yet to put my stuff somewhere outside of this forum for critique. It IS so nerve wracking. :? Good luck. :D

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:37 pm

My biggest goal for this year is to finish my book The Divide:Unity. I strategically decided to write two short stories first, guaranteeing I will have two publications this summer, so now I can work on the book and not worry about having nothing else forthcoming. I would like it to be published at the end of this year/beginning of next, so I need to get on with it now! (But I had surgery last week so I have been focused on reading, doing some video game playing, and spending time with my son!)

I have two more short story ideas so far, and have no idea what novel I will write after this one!

I'm supposed to be doing Camp NaNo so maybe this week I will get back into it!
Previously published writer starting over.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:33 am

In a major writing slump, myself. But, still plugging away at critiques, both with the local group and here on the WD forum. The accounting course I'm taking doesn't help, it sucks up loads of time, especially when there's something I don't quite understand completely....

With the local conditions, and my current activities, I suppose I could try writing about someone trying to pull off a slimy bookkeeping scam while a giant snowstorm rages through the town....

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Fri May 24, 2013 11:23 am

Did two more critiques locally. Sporadically doing a crit on the forum here. AND, our local writers' group has engaged an "e-writer in residence" who offers a critique service to members. WOW! Her name is Marilyn Dumont, she is currently working on a book about her family's connection to Louis Riel (famous Metis leader, for those unfamiliar with Canadian history...) and she gave me the most incredibly thorough and insightful and USEFUL critique I have ever experienced to date. I think her ideas and "tips" are going to kick my writing a lot closer toward the goal posts.

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:27 pm

My newest short story will be released this weekend!

I got a gig taking pictures and writing a short article about Indy Pride, too! I have to make sure it is good enough quality to make it in, though.

I also submitted an op-ed piece, and if it gets rejected I will send it to another publication

Still working on The Divide:Unity in fits and starts. I have so much mapped out in my head and maybe there is some pressure at getting it right, but I also want to make sure I don't leave any important factors out. And I want to take my time and not do a rush-job.

Goals for future: Sequel to Two-Spirit's Red Road in Nadine's POV
Sequel to that story in Strong-Arrow's POV
another novel with intent of querying an agent

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:07 pm

A new goal reached, didn't expect it: two articles in one issue of Windy City Times. :D Well, one was on the online version but referenced in the print version, the other was available in both. woop

PreviousNext

Return to Goal Posts