[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
goals for the year ahead : Goal Posts • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

goals for the year ahead

Join fellow writers here for encouragement and accountability. Look for a writing buddy in your genre or work with someone to set and reach your writing goals.
LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Re: goals for the year ahead

Postby LMGilbert » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Is it 2012 already.... groan.

Don't want to stop hibernating, but am checking out the February & March contest and publications deadlines; there's a workshop locally... that's about it for me.

My kid's tenth birthday party was a blast, held at home for minimal expense and kerfuffle. A good time was had by all, I think especially for the one "special needs" kid who showed up. My girl showed excellent judgement in only inviting those kids from her class who were least likely to be rude or mean to the special needs kids she also invited. I have to say, if you hear someone blathering on about how people with Asperger's / Autism don't have empathy, they are just wrong, wrong wrong.

tdotrob
Private E-2

Postby tdotrob » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi Lori,

I loved "La Galerie Kenmore!" Great idea and surely a regular source of inspiration. My kids are adults now and I'm happy to tell you they continue to inspire me daily as I'm sure yours will for many years to come. And ten is such a fun age! Enjoy. Take lots of photos and movies. Write, write, write. As an adult Aspie I concur: we have lots of empathy, we just don't do social interaction well.

I saw your repost of your Holiday Story Exchange entry and realized I should be reposting my stuff on the blog as well. If someone actually wanted to read some of my writing, no reason to make them go looking all over for it. Wish I'd thought of it myself but I'll take all the help I can get. So, thanks for the idea!

-- T.Rob
-- T.Rob
on Twitter
because if I don't write, I'll explode.
- A blog about WebSphere MQ Security.

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Previously published writer starting over.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks Kim, & good luck with the work-in-progress as well as the submission of your finished work. To me, 11 rejection letters means you've sent out at least 11 submissions, so that's a heck of a lot better than I can do right now! From what I've heard, we can expect a lot more than 11 rejections before getting a "yes." Sigh.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:26 am

New goal, inspired by the book I'm currently reading. I want to revisit a character who is "small" as in The Borrowers, but I want to do something entirely different & unexpected with her or him (probably her). So breaking this down into small manageable baby steps, first I want to read everything I can find about small people in literature, such as the Lilliputians in Gulliver's Travels, the Borrowers, and so on. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know! The next or concurrent goal would be to write as many scenes as possible to try to develop this character and her environment.

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:02 pm

After multiple agent rejections for my first book, I've decided to rewrite the first chapter and my query letter! I'm happy with the choice I've made, but impatient to get the book back out there!

erifnosmirc
Private E-1

Postby erifnosmirc » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:29 pm

I made it a new year's resolution to get at least one piece published, so I'm trying to write, finish, and get pieces edited more often. I think I want to upgrade that to one poem and one short fiction piece in a literary magazine. I've taken an interest in abbreviated prose for its microscopic, intimate focus. That, and I'm not very good at writing extended plot. WD's writing contest for 2012 was just announced and I'm piqued, though that nagging self-doubt is making me a little wary. Need to silence that voice, right?

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:51 am

SIGH! Didn't make the long list for the CBC Contest. And I love the CBC so much, what a drag for me. But, always look on the bright side, right? It means those stories are now available to brush up & send out to other contests. Each rejection is one more step forward to publication, as they say. One set of judges or magazine editors might hate your work, another might say "yes." And as I mentioned, there's the "brushing up" opportunity; it's the right time to take another look and do some re-thinking and re-writing.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:55 pm

Yep, did some re-writing & brushing up, and submitted two short stories to the WD Annual Competition! Earlier, I submitted two "children's" stories (aimed at kids 9-14) to our regional group's annual contest. I'll know the results of that very, very soon.... am very, very anxious & excited & stressed....

But at least I'm sending things out, doing definite things to reach my goals, and getting a little more organized by developing my own simple little submission tracker document, which I will need if I start sending out as much stuff as I intend to.

Other goals.... yep, got my driver's license and am now officially driving around. Joined a fitness class, so I feel a lot better though I don't exactly look like I'm in great shape yet. And holy hannah, I actually got a job which is the job of my dreams. Its part time! It lets me offer my humble skill set to support programs that empower women in my community! And best of all, NO PANTY HOSE REQUIRED!!

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Wed May 02, 2012 7:46 pm

"This thread is awesome, I looked back through all of the goals people wrote, and here's my update for right now:
I was just accepted to write for a magazine, and the editor said he would love me to write more in the future as well. I've been querying agents, and just revised my first couple chapters and query letters again and I'm on Round Two of querying. I've also got several short stories and articles out in submission land."

Just going to update again with my book No Turning Back being accepted for publication in October! I'm going to work on my next book, and I'm hopefully going to be a regular contributor to MOOT magazine as well.
Last edited by EccentricKim on Wed May 16, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Goal Posts