goals for the year ahead

Join fellow writers here for encouragement and accountability. Look for a writing buddy in your genre or work with someone to set and reach your writing goals.
LMGilbert
Lieutenant

goals for the year ahead

Postby LMGilbert » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:08 am

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

goals for the year ahead

Postby LMGilbert » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:08 am

This year I want to start sending out short stories & essays to small magazines, respond to calls for submission and contests. If anything actually gets accepted, that will be a head start on the next set of goals!

LittleEden
Sergeant

Re: goals for the year ahead

Postby LittleEden » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:03 am

Good set of goals. Here's to you achieving each and everyone. We dream dreams - goals give us a path to realize them.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Tue May 03, 2011 8:53 am

Making baby steps, have entered a contest, and am working on other pieces specifically for contests. Have also started a big resource list of magazines & small publications seeking submissions, as well as annual contests. Joined the regional writer's organization and attended one of their workshops. Have also started a blog, and am busy making all the usual mistakes as I learn about how to blog. I will soon hold a gala opening reception for "La Galerie Kenmore" and you are invited to attend at my blog:

http://wordballoon-lori.blogspot.com

You've heard of art on the fringe, this is art on the fridge.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Sun May 22, 2011 6:33 am

La Galerie Kenmore is finally up, please enjoy! Will post notice of future shows.

Not much going on with writing; waiting for the local writer's circle to meet so I can join & share some work, meet some other local wanna-be writers & perhaps more professional writers as well. I believe in August or September, NOWW (regional writers' org) will hold the Sleeping Giant Writer's Festival; I plan to report on my blog, will give notice here when that happens.

http://wordballoon-lori.blogspot.com

XintricKim
Major

Postby XintricKim » Mon May 23, 2011 3:49 pm

Short story submissions are on my list, too.  Normally I enter WD contests twice a year but so far I've skipped out on that.  I also have a blog, as it is apparently required, but I have a hard time updating it and gaining followers!  (Doom to my writing career!) 

Good luck with all your goals.  :-)

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:31 pm

I entered a couple of short stories in the WD 80th Writing Competition, and TA DA, just made it into the top 100 in the Genre category! This may be small potatoes to many of you who visit this forum, for me it's a pretty big deal. And SO encouraging, as I've really just started sending out stories. Next, I plan to enter a Short Prose Competition for Developing Writers, held by the Writer's Union of Canada, and the Malahat Review's 2012 Open Season Awards. Also, goes without saying but I'll say it anyway, am honing a couple of short stories for WD Short Story Contest.

On the down side, am not becoming very involved in things locally. Have shamefully missed out on Writers' Circle meetings, and looks like I will be missing upcoming Writers' event featuring Jane Urquhart.... what's wrong with me? Besides not being able to get child care? Maybe I just don't do "social." Won't drop it as a goal quite yet though!

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:35 pm

LMGilbert, congratulations! Getting an honorable mention is a very big deal! I made it to that list 2 years ago, and I still remember that over 13,000 people entered. That is a very good achievement for you, and one I would mention in query letters!

Next year I want to be on my way to querying agents. I actually want to start by the end of this year but don't know if I'll make it. I also want to continue making short submissions to magazines. And I want to work on the first draft of my next book!
Previously published writer starting over.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:24 am

Good goals, KIm! By a book, do you mean you're working on a novel? Wow, I can't imagine myself focusing on a long, complex work of writing at this point.

How my goals stand at this point: I entered two stories in the CBC Canada Writes competition, and two stories in the Union of Canadian Writers Short Prose competition. Missed the Malahat Review deadline. BUT have arranged to make it out to the AGM & workshop held this month by the local/regional writers' organization.

For anyone having trouble reaching their goals, once set, try the advice I give in my blog (http://wordballoon-lori.blogspot.com): Identify the goalie blocking your net, remove the goalie, whoever or whatever it is, and take your best shot.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:06 pm

Missed the deadline for WD Short Story Contest, but keeping my eye out for contests to enter in early 2012. Renewed my NOWW membership (local writers' org) and went to the AGM with a workshop added to the end. Great way to get people out to a meeting, have a workshop tacked on the end. Keeps the meeting short, as well.

Actually finished my HSE 2011 story & sent it in!! And have two or three other stories in the works.

Now I just want to dig into my burrow and hibernate while waiting to see if there's any response. On the non-writing side of things, am about to do my road test & get licensed to drive, and would like to lose some weight & get more active. Also hope to hold a successful 10th birthday party for my kid.

Next

Return to Goal Posts