[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Writing buddy wanted! : Goal Posts • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Writing buddy wanted!

Join fellow writers here for encouragement and accountability. Look for a writing buddy in your genre or work with someone to set and reach your writing goals.
AliceAP
Private E-1

Writing buddy wanted!

Postby AliceAP » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:07 am

Hi

I'm looking for a writing buddy. I'm working on a novel - a kind of grotesque crime fiction. I think I'm 80 % done, but: I find it hard to finish... :(

I imagine that we - as writing buddies - could encourage each other and hold each other accountable for writing. Perhaps through daily/weekly goals. Ask each other about what our writing plans are for tomorrow and then ask how it went!

I'm allready in a critique group where we meet - physical - every second week. So I'm not so much looking for critique. But of cause I would like to read sections of your book, if you need it.

As you might have guessed english is not my first language... ;) Hope it's okey...

Looking forward to hear from you!

Alice

evaspedoske
Private E-1

Re: Writing buddy wanted!

Postby evaspedoske » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Hello Alice. I have never had a writing buddy before but I am rewriting an old story currently. I'm turning it from a grotesque crime thriller to... a toned down version, fiction maybe Christian fiction? It originally involved some religious themes so I decided I'd expand on that and decrease some of the violence. I decided after I wrote it I'd feel ashamed/bad if a young reader grabbed it off the shelf. It was very intense. It was a challenge to write the first time because of the content and I enjoyed the challenge and feel I did a pretty good job. Time to change my hard work into something I can do something with.

How's your story coming along? 80% has got to be an exciting spot, close to wrapping it all up. Always a nice feeling of accomplishment to print a completed draft and stare at it stacked on your desk. I always like to hold my freshly printed work up and tell my boyfriend "I did this." He isn't a reader so he has no idea the amount of work that went into it, but he's always proud of me, so he smiles and says something nice. I'd be happy to share in the excitement of your accomplishment and cheer you on if you need it.

Best of luck
Eva

AliceAP
Private E-1

Postby AliceAP » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:35 am

Hi Eva

Thanks for your message.

Interesting to hear about your book and your reflections on it. But don't you feel that you censor yourself - as an artist? My novel is full of sex and violence (the murders...)! I am a Christian , so of course I have had my thoughts about it. But I just feel I can not censor my ideas. I must be free to write.

I have been stuck in my story for a while... :( I lack self-discipline to sit down on my a.. and write! I also have some problems with the suspence in the story. The story simply lacks suspence. Which is NOT good since it's a crime fiction! :) I do not have a police investigator in my story and perhaps that's where the problem lies...

Is it easy for you to pull yourself together and write? Do you write every day or only once in a while? Is it your goal to become a writer/get published? Many questions! Sorry! :)

Alice

mariespedoske
Private E-1

Postby mariespedoske » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:46 am

Hey Alice, still Eva. It wouldn't let me login for a couple days so I made a new account. I tried emailing someone to help with my account but no reply.

I do feel censored but I have felt that way since the day I found out I was pregnant with my first son in 2002. Within days of finding out I was pregnant I threw out a stack of stories and thought I can't write things like this anymore. I was young, thought for sure if anyone found my stories they'd give me a psychological exam. Hahaha. Well I got over that but it took realizing I felt that way because of what my mom did When I was about 14. I use to write poetry and it tended to be on the dark side. My mom found my notebooks and took them all, told me there was something wrong with me to have written such things. Told me she was going to tell my dad and find me a psychologist. She took my CDS, reading books, anything that involved words I guess. My mom was in a cult (says my dad) when we were little and she's been weird eversince. for as long as I can remember I have had night terrors. They were so awful when I was a young kid but ad an adult the come and go. I might have 10 or 12 weeks (combined) out of A year of nights filled with terrors only as an adult they are intense in a different way. Well I believe that's what started my writing, If I could but the fears to paper then they'd leave me be. Never worked that way. Thanks to my mom I developed a large fear of being judged for what I write. To this day I have never shared a story with her and unless I had to for a class I've never written a poem again and I've avoided dark poetry when I've had to write them for class assignments. So feeling censored yes.

More recently I've had issues with my son trying to figure out what kind of man he's going to be. He attached himself to some naughty kids and started using language no mother could be proud of and showing interest in things he shouldnt. But I took him to talk with our churches youth pastor and he said something that has stuck in my head since. He told my son that when he was in school he did some computer programing and that the computer did what he told it to do. That if he didn't program it it did nothing and that his brain was like a computer, it knows what's put into it. So my son who seems to have an odd love of very dark music and language and such all negative and dark that he is programing his own depression. I can see that being a real possibility. It made me think if it wasn't so easy to have access to such things for a 12 year old boy then he'd have that much less to negatively influence him And that by writing awful things I am contributing them to the world. I have never understood the night terrors and darkness I see, I love big band, Frank Sinatra, roger miller, black and white movies, bunnies, goats, flowers, babies, there isn't much dark to me and the depression and anxiety I've felt in life came from my night terrors and the death of my first husband, normal sources and reasons. Makes it hard for me to understand what is going on in the world. My son is 12 he has a classmate who told abother student he was going to commit suicide. This got long, sorry. Yeah I feel censored but I'm conflicted on to censor or not to censor.

Tell me more about your story. You said you felt it lacked suspence. Who is your MC? What's he up to that he find himself in such a violent place?

In the story I wrote that sounds similar to what you're writing I have a couple detectives but I don't feel they are the source of suspence in my story. My MC is a woman,wife and mother of two whose life begins to unravel after a break in while she was home. She basically finds out her whole life is a lie. Her husband betrayed her in a way that would make an affair look like forgetting her birthday card on his desk at work.

Have you gotten much written in the past few days? What is your goal for writing this week?

mariespedoske
Private E-1

Postby mariespedoske » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:49 am

I haven't been able to login for two days finally I made a new account and just now wrote a fairly wordy reply, hit submit and it's gone. I think this site dislikes me.

Eva

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:32 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

AliceAP
Private E-1

Postby AliceAP » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:34 am

Hi Eva

Thanks for sharing your personal story. I'm sorry to hear about your mother's overreaction to your writing, your night terrors and the problems your son have. Life is not easy... :( I myself have problems with anxiety. But it is my experience that life can by good anyway. I hope you also have good days in between.

I have to tell you that I have already found a writing buddy, a american woman called Sandy. I think you should try to find another writing buddy within the genre you write in.

Good luck with everything.

Alice

jonathanoladeji
Private E-1

Postby jonathanoladeji » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:49 am

Hi, I really feel weird talking to you guys like this (I mean typing) but I got drawn to the story Eva told about herself. I have been writing for a while now, majorly on my blog but I have some short stories and a novel I have completed but I feel too inadequate to find a publisher. I am Nigerian, I want my voice to be heard beyond just the African mind but when I see the difference in the lives in Hollywood movies and the ones I try to relate to in my stories, I feel I may not have the capacity to tell the story right. I need a writing buddy too, preferably constant on mobile messenger like whatsapp or bbm as reminder to keep writing. Thanks

AliceAP
Private E-1

Postby AliceAP » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:51 am

Hi Jonathan

Thank you for posting. But I have already found me a writing Buddy. Sorry.

Alice

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:28 am

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Return to Goal Posts