[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
First Draft of Cover : Covers & Formatting • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

First Draft of Cover

PianoAl
Sergeant First Class

First Draft of Cover

Postby PianoAl » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:14 am

I'm assuming it's OK to ask for critiques of cover images -- let me know it I'm wrong.

Here's the first draft of the cover for my new book. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The goal is to communicate the humorous nature of the book, and have that come through even in a small Amazon listing.
Feel free to correct my spelling, punctuation, or grammar.

PianoAl
Sergeant First Class

Re: First Draft of Cover

Postby PianoAl » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:15 am

Since the most important thing about the title, for me, is how attractive it looks on a listing page, I usually do a mock of an Amazon page with the cover on it. For example:

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:20 am

Looks a little generic to me - maybe some type of framing would be in order? A serif typestyle for the title?
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:05 pm

I like everything but the title font. The humor comes out in the way the car and people are drawn, and in the use of "mostly-true" in the subtitle. I like the way that part looks. I actually think the cover looks pretty good in the mock up of the amazon page, but in the larger picture I'm just not crazy about the title font, maybe because it's overly plain.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

PianoAl
Sergeant First Class

Postby PianoAl » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:38 am

OK, good, I'll try Times New Roman or something similar for title.

I agree about the generic look. Perhaps a little too sparse.

Thanks.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:55 am

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:20 pm

I don't like the light blue. Not sure what would be the alternative. I like the car though. Very funny.

PianoAl
Sergeant First Class

Postby PianoAl » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:52 pm

Thanks for help.

I think I'm going to go with this. I used a Baskerville font for the title, and Arial for the subtitle (easier to read as small text), and I put a royalty free image of a sunrise as the background.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:16 pm

Yep, I like this one better, although Baskerville to me is just a tarted-up version of TNR. It's also perhaps too formal for the light-hearted tone of your cover.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:34 pm

I like those colors a lot better.

Next

Return to Covers & Formatting