[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Custom CreateSpace Covers : Covers & Formatting • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Custom CreateSpace Covers

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Custom CreateSpace Covers

Postby gesler0811 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:12 pm

So, I'm getting ready to publish with CreateSpace in the next few weeks. I'm just putting the finishing touches on the mss, formatting for 6" x 9" perfect bound, and reviewing all of their specifications for things.

Which brings me to the cover.

Sure, they have all these nifty little templates and whatnot. But I was going to go with a custom cover, because a friend has already designed the front cover for me. And reading all those specifications makes my head want to bounce right off my body and run away from me. I think I got the gist of it. But I'm just wondering: has anybody else on here tried to upload a custom cover, and what was your experience? Did it come out right?

wondo
Colonel

Re: Custom CreateSpace Covers

Postby wondo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:42 pm

I started using a template and it just looked too "cookie cutter" to me so I downloaded a template and designed my own. It can be a little tricky because you have to design in photo format and upload in PDF format. I converted the final jpeg into pdf using primopdf, which is a free program. You have to custom size the final pdf document to fit the guidelines. The first novel I did took several hours to set up. Now that I know what I am doing I can do one much quicker but it still takes a little time.
You can download primppdf here.
http://www.primopdf.com/#
It installs on the computer and works just like another printer. When you are ready just choose "print" from the file menu, then primopdf from the printer selection. One or two more steps and you will have created a cover in pdf format. You do have to create a custom size to print out so it meets the guidelines.
A garden is a place not just for growing plants. It is a place to grow the soul as well.

http://www.mossyfeetbooks.com/

http://www.facebook.com/ae.mableson

http://www.indianaplaces.com/

http://www.aemableson.com

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:12 am

Interesting. I'll have to look into that. My friend, who is doing my cover, is using photoshop, and he said that he is pretty sure he can save the cover as PDF, with all of the height/width requirements, etc.

My biggest worry is getting the dimenstions right. They are pretty specific with that, and with good reason. It seems like any little computational error on my part could result in an image getting chopped, the spine being too big/too little, something being off center, etc. That's the part that worries me. Although, like the book itself, I will just have to take my time and pay attention to every little detail.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:03 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

PianoAl
Sergeant First Class

Postby PianoAl » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:15 am

I downloaded the template and then made that a layer in Paint Shop Pro. I copied and pasted things into other layers, then simply hid the guide layer for the final:

It's true that getting it to PDF is the problem; too bad they don't accept TIF files.

I don't remember how I did that. Google "convert image to pdf for createspace" and you'll get lots of answers.
Feel free to correct my spelling, punctuation, or grammar.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:15 am

PianoAl
Sergeant First Class

Postby PianoAl » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:57 pm

I now remember how I converted to PDF. I used the instructions on this web site:

http://ryallon.blogspot.com/2012/07/con ... space.html
Feel free to correct my spelling, punctuation, or grammar.

Return to Covers & Formatting