[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How to make your cover stand out using medieval heraldry : Covers & Formatting • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How to make your cover stand out using medieval heraldry

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

How to make your cover stand out using medieval heraldry

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:24 pm

Last edited by Dreaming Imrryr on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

williamadams

Re: How to make your cover stand out using medieval heraldry

Postby williamadams » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:53 pm

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Last edited by Dreaming Imrryr on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:41 pm

mostly agree except what is meant by quality

if it sells well then to me that means the quality was plenty good enough
take janet evanovich and the stephany plum series
23 books so far that sold millions
but they are imho all well written
even if no english prof would ever admit to having read any of them

i am not concerned about fancy literature to please some english prof
but making millions of dollars does interest me

so when , or if, i ever do a novel i will use janet as a role model not some acclaimed literature author
hemingway might be as close to a uni approved writer as i would consider
he wrote simply and clearly unlike most of the other stuff they forced us to read by authors the profs liked

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:00 am

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:34 am

Last edited by Dreaming Imrryr on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MPhillip
Private E-1

Postby MPhillip » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:15 pm

Last edited by MPhillip on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:36 pm

[quote="Dreaming Imrryr"]Heraldry or design of a coat of arms, is designing an image to be placed on clothing or armor used to identify warriors on a medieval battlefield so you could identify your friends and foes.

*WARNING* The guy in the video uses the "f" word once.

The video is by Eric Muss-Barnes.

Skip to time 4:55 if you want to get to advice, the link below already skips to that time and it also skips the "f" word usage:

https://youtu.be/cAO3dDAhtAg?t=295

He adds that you should hire a professional to make your covers at the end of the video, but I like making my own covers anyway.

I like making my own covers because I don't have a lot of money to spend and I know that if you learn and practice, you can make some pretty decent covers and eventually make some great covers.

Also, there are two schools of thought in indie (independent or self) publishing: 1.) make high quality ebooks with high quality covers that will sell a lot of copies each month, and 2.) make passable decent ebooks with passable decent covers that will sell a few copies each month and repeat the process over and over as fast as you can.

If you are going with the second school of thought, your covers don't need to be that great.

And if you think that the second school of thought is a horrible idea, well then you probably wouldn't like the "pulp fiction" genre from the old pulp magazines that were published from 1896 to the 1950s.[/quote]

I don't see fancy covers paying for themselves in a self published book. Many folks buy good enough covers on fiverr or other job sites cheap.
Quality of content and promotion seem to be more important than a cover as long as the cover is not confusing or extremely bad.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:41 pm

I don't buy ebooks (or print books online that I haven't seen in a brick and mortar) so take this with a grain of salt ;)

When I've looked through online lists (like on Amazon) the book covers don't really play a large part in garnering interest. The pictures are sooooo small they really aren't worth trying to see them, so I go by the blurb. If that catches my interest, I'll look further, but by then I'm already interested so the cover doesn't really matter. But again, if I think I might want to purchase, I go to the store to take a closer look (not fond of the online version of that either - I prefer to choose my own pages to look at.).

If one is going the print route, then I'd say the cover is much more important. That's what catches my eye in the store, so if it's poorly done, I tend to think what's inside isn't going to be much better. Of course, that doesn't necessarily hold true, but that's the impression.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:11 pm

[quote="ostarella"]I don't buy ebooks (or print books online that I haven't seen in a brick and mortar) so take this with a grain of salt ;)

When I've looked through online lists (like on Amazon) the book covers don't really play a large part in garnering interest. The pictures are sooooo small they really aren't worth trying to see them, so I go by the blurb. If that catches my interest, I'll look further, but by then I'm already interested so the cover doesn't really matter. But again, if I think I might want to purchase, I go to the store to take a closer look (not fond of the online version of that either - I prefer to choose my own pages to look at.).

If one is going the print route, then I'd say the cover is much more important. That's what catches my eye in the store, so if it's poorly done, I tend to think what's inside isn't going to be much better. Of course, that doesn't necessarily hold true, but that's the impression.[/quote]

I agree with the ebooks. Just make them legible for the amazon thumbnail.

My take is that a bad cover will turn off a buyer. A good cover really does nothing. A great cover might get someone to look inside if they had already found the book. But that is the problem getting them to even see the book at all. But do you have to spend hundreds or even thousands for a really good cover?

As to book stores, self publishers can't afford to be in them. The returns will eat you alive. And most books are spine out so nobody sees that cover unless they pick that book to look at. Now if you can sell books , not consign them, to gift shops, and specialty stores, then being there is good.
Better to just be available for stores to order as well as selling through all online channels.

Return to Covers & Formatting