[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
ebook formatting site : Covers & Formatting • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

ebook formatting site

Laycrew
Major

ebook formatting site

Postby Laycrew » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:07 pm

So I've taken the plunge with self-publishing a short story that I expanded to about the length of a novelette. I figured the length made it affordable for me since I'm just starting out and short enough so I wasn't overwhelmed with the "do it yourself" part I was trying to navigate on my own.

I decided to use this website called [url]Pressbooks.com[/url] for formatting my ebook. It will format it to all ebook options and it has some nice templates. You can get a free version with some of their advertising included or you can pay $20 for almost all ebook formats and $99 to also get the pdf for print. It works like a Wordpress blog which I have very little experience with so it was a little frustrating at first and somehow I lost my blurbs even after I saved it. I still don't know if it was my mistake or website glitch. After spending a couple of tries trying to figure out how to make it work for me, I think I got it down. It wasn't hard once I got the hang of it, with the exception of when my computer was being ridiculous when I got near the end of checking and double checking for mistakes.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: ebook formatting site

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:34 am

Sounds interesting, Laycrew, but where are you going to actually publish your story once you have formatted it? Why didn't you do the whole process on Smashwords? Just curious. :)
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:55 am

What Dorothy said. If you follow the publishing guidelines - free from Smashwords - you should have no trouble in uploading your piece to Smashwords or Amazon, as long as the cover is large enough.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:16 pm

I decided I only wanted to publish this one on Amazon because it's short and wanted to try the KDP select, with the 90 day exclusive period. I have plans with my longer stuff to spread it out outside of Amazon.

I'm not sure why, but everything I downloaded from Smashwords on my Kindle didn't come with the covers on the front. Even the anthology. I haven't looked that much into publishing on Smashwords yet.

I didn't look real hard into how to publish my whole thing straight from Word to KDP. I read that it can be glitchy taking Word files into Mobi so I that is why I went to Pressbooks so it wouldn't be a problem. I don't have a lot of technical skills and get pretty frustrated because of that. What I do like are the templates that make the beginning of each chapter look like it was produced by an actual publisher. There are quite a few to choose from. Sure, I probably could have gone in a formatted that myself in Word, but I like the look a lot and all I did was copy and paste each chapter in and everything looked really nice. When I was done, I just clicked export and I had 3 options ready in seconds to download onto my computer and it went right into the KDP site without issue. I went back and edited it a couple times, downloaded the edited mobi file, and put the new version up.

Return to Covers & Formatting