[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Who is this masked woman? : Writers' Block Party • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Who is this masked woman?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
touchstone
Sergeant First Class

RE: Who is this masked woman?

Postby touchstone » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:11 am

Here, here, John!

The hubdub in my community is about Scrabble. Is it a sport, or isn't it? I'm not allowed to take a side since my father since no but my best friend's father says yes.............

And American Idol needs more than two talented contestants. I almost feel bad for Simon. To be "it" on that show you must be sexy and snarky. Oh! The S word again!

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:45 pm

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:56 pm

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:46 pm

Jessica, you are a Godsend to students. I feel instinctively that this dumbing down in the classroom has to do with underestimating students--ALL students, and not just the bright ones. If parents--early educators--the television!--urged students to be their best in the classroom, I think they would be. If they aren't, it's because someone somewhere has taught them not to bother. Their education doesn't seem important to them. It seems like a series of random tests. You broke through to that class and showed them that reading is a way to find out how other people see the world. What a shame that this realization came so late in their schooling!

As one of the oldsters here, I'd like to speak up for modern music. My daughters have exposed me to quite a broad sampling (but not to rap, which none of us can see much use for). Sipper, you're right in pointing out that what we listen to already does determine what we can assimilate from today's music, and I love your description of music-making as a community. I come from a great line of fiddle players (Mark O'Connor routinely thanks my great-great uncle on his albums). When I was young, we also had a tradition of music-making like yours: the uncles all sat and played instruments and sang, and the aunts all danced. It is a wonderful heritage.

I also grew up listening to rock music, though, and particularly paying attention to the lyrics. I found much meaning for my everyday life in music by Pink Floyd, Simon & Garfunkle, David Bowie, Elvis Costello, U2, and dozens of other talented groups. As I aged, I lost touch with rock and turned to classical and Celtic music, but my daughters have brought me back to it.

I would stack up the bands that are around now against anything I listened to in my youth. Groups like Coldplay, Evanescence, Longview, Goo Goo Dolls, Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Dashboard Confessional, Nickleback, 3 Doors Down--even fun groups like Simple Plan, the Killers, Goldfinger, and Bowling for Soup--have brought the world songs that ring true and describe the human condition. I cut my teeth on Quadrophenia and The Wall, but I'd put Green Day's American Idiot up against those fine concept albums as a brilliant declaration of the problems of modern youth. Many of these songs express a desperation, an empty misery. The gross materialism of our media-driven culture is stifling these artists. James is right that this is coming out of our modern culture. It may not describe our own feelings, but it accurately describes the feelings of many of our teens.

Of course I'm picking the stuff that an old ear can relate to, and you kids out there are noticing the stuff I'm NOT mentioning, like Papa Roach, Linkin Park, and Puddle of Mud. What can I say? I respect and even admire some of it from a distance, but I'm still an old fogey! I just wanted to speak up for the authenticity of a lot of the stuff in CD stories today. I'm better for having encountered it.

Clare

Catherine
Lieutenant

Postby Catherine » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:49 am

Well, I have decided to sell my rings and buy a bicycle
and train for the Olympics and Tour de something. All the money I gain
from being a famous athlete will be used to hire an agent.
I will hire Joe Simpson, (Jessica's stage dad)& become a singer.
Eventually I will travel to 3rd world countries
so all may experience the joy of hearing my golden voice.
The world will be so awed at my talent, CD's will fly off the shelf.
I will take the money from the sale of my recordings, place into a
fund to cure world ills and to hire a dective to find out just who is Ms. Snark.

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:15 am

Thanks Catherine for steering this thread back to the real question, 'When will we find whirreled peas?'. -er, make that: Who really is Ms. Snark?

John

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:04 am

Catherine, I am deeply grateful to hear that you are putting a scheme into place to bring Miss Snark to justice. Not a GOOD scheme, mind you--but at least you have a goal. Just pace yourself on those uphills. With Lance out of the way, this sport is wide open!

Clare

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:31 am

With you on the lead, this mystery will be solved in no time. The rest of us can go play Scrabble and try to get the Olympics to add the sport next year.

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:17 am

John, please accept my apology for taking your thread to a place it should not have gone. I had no idea my childlike dream to funnel opening/closing ceremony money to a "better" cause would irritate so many people!!

Yes, Catherine...definitely hire Joe SImpson...the man is a genius!!

Clare...thanks for the compliment. Oh, and I shall now admit my deep love of Green Day (before, during & after the release of American Idiot). Blink? Dashboard? I'm impressed, Clare...your daughters are introducing you to good stuff. I knew I dug you for many reasons!

Now that Lance is outta the way...the Tour will be interesting. As much as I love him, 7 years of watching him dominate has become a bit bland.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:46 am

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party