[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Who is this masked woman? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Who is this masked woman?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:10 pm

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:10 pm

In a reply posted by Linda Adams down in the critique forum, (Camille's 911 call), she references a Ms. Snark:

--When her teacher announces to the class that a young boy is missing, a bully shouts, “Maybe the tree ate him!”--
I've seen it said--think it was Ms. Snark's site--that dialogue shouldn't be used in a query.

I found my way there the other day and other than being a bit of a smart-ass overly fond of her own prose and delighting in pretension, I couldn't figure out what all the excitement is about over her website.

I admit I have a lot of problems following the current 'it'. For example, I don't think Bobby Bonds is a great ballplayer, I don't think Jessica Simpson can sing or act, and I think certain Olympic sports, aren't.

Now I realize that if the noted Ms. Snark really does rule the writing universe, then I've just dammed myself for all time, but that's OK, I've already done that in many other ways.

So, who is Ms. Snark and what exactly is the appeal or power of her website?

Thanks,

John Marfink (figured I might as well make it easy for her)

Georganna
Brigadier General

RE: Who is this masked woman?

Postby Georganna » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:13 pm

I've also wondered about the adulation I've seen for this bitter, biting pseudo-personality.  I think it may have to do with the fact that she says out loud what many only dare to think in private.  How more noble would it be if she did so under her own name?  Hiding behind screen names and unidentifiable domains, or baldly stating credentials that cannot be traced doesn't incline me to take seriously anything anyone says.  Especially in this forum.

Nice touch, posting your whole name, John!

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:40 pm

Oh John, there are so many ways to become the "it" of our time. Just be the oddball in every situation. Go against the current and people everywhere start talking about you. I do believe, therein lies the secret of a trend. A few other things help too;

Conceitedness--my personal fave. Can't seem to shake it off, even as a Christian.

Exceptionally kind--
OR
Exceptionally rude/mean--but never the average.

I'm sure I'll think of a couple more later.

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:22 pm

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:46 pm

I also have problems with Miss Snark. She gives enough authetic detail that I have no doubt she's in the business, but she presents way too much as fact that's only opinion, and says too many things about synopses and the like that go totally against what many other agents and editors I've known have to say.

These rules may well work for her, each agents asks writers for things that appeal to her, and that's fine, but many of them go totally against what many selling writers I know do, and what some very good agents and editors ask for and like.

I, too, wish she'd come out and give her name.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:08 pm

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:45 pm

Indeed, James...I agree that anyone who can manipulate a situation to become one of the most recognized, well-paid celebrities in the last five years definitely has talent. Jessica Simpson has not claimed to be anything more than a pop star/actress, that is true. She is no rocket scientist, but she is smart to have taken the excrutiatingly sickening to watch dumb girl act far enough to propel her to where she is today. I am not a fan of pop starletts like Christina, Brittney and Jessica. I prefer singer-songwriter chicks like Lucinda Williams and Ani DiFranco...but, again, I respect anyone who can splash herself all over TV, magazines and film for more than 15 minutes. It takes talent--a different sort of talent than I respect, I guess.

As for the Olympics...when I was a child, I truly enjoyed it. I would see athletes coming from all over the world to an event that literally brought this world together...to the same place and time (it seemed)...where we all appeared to be on an equal level despite our geographic, economic, governmental differences. Then, U.S. athletes started popping up in Nike ads months before the games began...female athletes were being portrayed as sex symbols in magazine layouts, people who were already high-paid athletes in the NBA were being pitted against kids who've struggled and fought to get a place on their nation's teams. I lost respect for our athletes, I guess...not all of them, and I don't disrespect their hard work, their God-given talent, etc., I think I disrespect what has become of the event as a whole. Again, I don't blame anyone for taking the Nike endorsements, the bikini layouts or the spot on the "Dream Team," because any of us would probably do it.

My husband is a cyclist...so we are glued to the Tour de France every July. During the Summer Olympics we were just as glued to the cycling events. Yes, the teams were packed with famous, high-paid professional cyclists and I was as giddy as I am when I'm watching the Tour. I didn't think of the poor kids who somehow made their country's team out of sheer sweat and tears being pitted against USPS's Tyler Hamilton--no...I wanted Tyler to slam 'em into the pavement. So, I'm not immune to loving the Olympics, but I can easily find a lot of fault in the whole dog & pony show, too.

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:57 pm

Oh, and James, if your vehement defense of Jessica Simpson was merely a ruse to make me stop thinking you're nice...it didn't work. I still dig you either way.

Oh, and also...Tyler Hamilton has been tossed out of professional cycling because has admitted to doping, so technically, I suppose talent isn't how he defeated anyone, huh? Sad, but true. No worries, though...I'm fickle enough to have moved on to a whole new obsession. Ivan Basso--he'll be winning the Tour de France this year (remember the name!)

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:57 pm

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party