Help...from the freelance article writers!

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:12 pm

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:12 pm

How/where do I include sidebar information in the manuscript?

I learned this a long time ago and for the life of me, I cannot remember the acceptable manuscript format for inclusion of sidebars. I took a freelance writing class from a second rate, smarmy character who would've sold his mother for a nickle, and I threw away the "textbook" he provided because he nauseated me so much (totally lacking ethics)...now, I don't have the book that would probably answer my question.

Help!!!

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

RE: Help...from the freelance articlewriters!

Postby abqwriter » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:43 pm

Either title it as Sidebar Information below the text of the manuscript in a single email or on a separate page for a hard copy submission.  If it is an article that has been assigned, most editors want the sidebar information in a separate email noted as such.

bongobro
Private E-2

RE: Help...from the freelance articlewriters!

Postby bongobro » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:10 pm

Hi, Jessica!

I have been fortunate to work with editors who recognized the possibility of sidebar articles, and on at least one occasion suggested I shorten my main article to put a special emphasis on the sidebar.

A lot will depend on the editor...if it's a submission you're sending, you may wish to include a note or print the sidebar material separately. Remember, too, if something stands out in the main article, he or she will get back with you. If you're on assignment, the editor will likely suggest sidebar material.

Good luck!

Charlie

Keep the beat goin'...

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

RE: Help...from the freelance article writers!

Postby JessicaLeigh » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:39 pm

Silly question, but...in a scholarly research article, I am used to typing [insert Table 1 here] where appropriate. Do I type [insert sidebar] within the text to denote where a sidebar will supplement the article, or is that something the editors decide.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:34 pm

Jessica - all they want is the text.  Copy editors and other along the way decide layout, whether it needs a sidebar, etc. 

I am a little confused by the question, though.  Why would you "insert" a sidebar?  Sidebars are stand alone articles that flesh out a minor detail in a main story or provide "where to go, stay, or other pertinent info". 

For example, when I did a travel story on Arches National Park, the main body text covered camping, hiking, etc.  The sidebar talked about the formation of the arches, geological facts, etc.  The second sidebar was info on costs, lodging, etc.  But the sidebar article was completely stand alone - neither article reference the other.

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:28 am

Hmm, perhaps my memory from the class with the smarmy guy has escaped me? I thought a sidebar could also be something like a list of websites that relate to information in the article. Or, a list of books or references that relate to the information discussed. Am I thinking of something else? I know to what you are referring, is what I am thinking of called something else (not "sidebar?")

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:56 am

Lists of websites, etc. like you describe could also be used for a sidebar.  I guess the thing I don't understand is why you are wanting to tell the editor where to "insert" the information.  Sidebars are stand-alone separate from the article.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

JessicaLeigh
Lieutenant

Postby JessicaLeigh » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:16 am

Maybe I'm picturing it all wrong. I see the sidebar "box" being inserted into the type...like this:

XXXXXXXXX
XXXXX SIDE
XXXXX BAR
XXXXX BOX
XXXXXXXXX

Do you get what I mean, by my ingenious diagram above? So, if the Xs are the part of the article that is about teaching adults to read, and the sidebar information is a list of websites dealing with adult literacy, will the editor know that block listing the websites should be placed within the text discussing adult literacy--or do I make it clear when I type the page of sidebar information.

I should rename this thread, "Dead Horse," since you, Lisa are being forced to keep beating it again...and again...and again...

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:29 pm

Sorry, dear, but the bad news is that the editor - who is paying for the article - gets to decide when, where how and why that sidebar gets published.  I've had assignments that called for sidebar info, which I compiled, only to be told that space would now not allow and to figure out what I could cut out of the article so that I could add a few lines from the sidebar info.

How the info finally looks really will depend on the layout of the publication and their own unique style.

And, remember - dead horses make great dogfood, so we're just working on the process from transforming the dead horse into something useful!  :)

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party