[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How long is long enough? or, As bad as it sounds? : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How long is long enough? or, As bad as it sounds?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jasipper
Brigadier General

RE: How long is long enough?

Postby jasipper » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:37 am

Lisa's probably right. It sounds more like the agent is trying to direct you toward agents/publishers who would be more receptive. Just take that advice and use it as a launching platform! Good luck!

Aspiring

RE: How long is long enough?

Postby Aspiring » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:38 am

But I don't know what a cozy is, though I do like tea...

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

RE: How long is long enough? or, As bad as it sounds?

Postby abqwriter » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:47 am

I would email her back and ask.  What can it hurt?  Thank her for the personal reply and the specific advise and then ask what agents mean by "cozies" and if she has any suggestions.  The worst that can happen is that she won't reply.

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:49 am

Lark
Captain

Postby Lark » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:54 am

A cosy is a little like a blender or toaster-cover, esither quilted or knitted; kind of old-fashioned, like egg-cups. I've seen them covering teapots in England. ... But I wonder if that agent had another slang-meaning for the word? That's secondary, though. May your next agent be more clear - and especially more punctual - in his/her reply.

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:00 am

Here all:

"Hi Susan,

Cozies are a subcategory of mystery, and most mystery agents do represent them. There's a very good description of the genre at this web site. Go here and click on FAQ at the top.

http://www.cluelass.com/"

Okay, maybe I don't hate agents. I'm going to send her a snail mail thank you letter. I think in her agent way she's been very kind. In the meantime, I have another snail mail package to send out and I've already sent another email query. Now I have to take time out for my real life and make my 5-year old twins lunch before kindergarten!

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:24 am

I figured it was a slang term.  The really cool part is that you've had an agent help you specifically define your novel genre; I would consider adding that into your query.

Thanks for letting us know.

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:30 am

Yes, perhaps I should add it to the query. I checked it out and in fact, my novel is quite a cozy. Go figure! I sent this agent a quick email thanks because she's been so generous with her time, and she even responded to that. I wish cozies were her cup of tea because she's been so generous with her time even in her rejection. Oh well, off to find more agents, now those interested in cozies...

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:39 am

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:44 am

Thanks to those of you who offered advice and encouragement. As it turns out, I got a lot out of this exchange with the agent. I've been beating myself up saying I'm no Dan Brown or John Grisham. Turns out I don't have to be. I would put Mary Higgins Clark into this "cozy" subgenre and look how well she's done. I'm feeling like I have more direction, and that many of the rejections are just what you've been saying: I just haven't hit on that agent that's a perfect match for my particular genre.

In the meantime I got back on the bandwagon and sent out 5 more email queries and one snail mail, and in only an hour's time I've already received one form letter rejection! Things are moving...

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party