[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How long is long enough? or, As bad as it sounds? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How long is long enough? or, As bad as it sounds?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:51 am

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:51 am

I sent the first 100 pages, synopsis & cover letter to an agent at her request after my initial email query. She said she'd get back to me within a week, and I Googled her and found other writers talking about how promptly she got back to them. It's been almost three weeks and I haven't heard from her, so now I fear she never got the package. Should I email and inquire as to whether she received the requested materials?

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

RE: How long is long enough?

Postby abqwriter » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:00 am

If her reply said she'd get back to you within a week, it would be completely proper to contact her to verify she received the materials.  I would check, because she will certainly not call you to say she never got them with so many other irons in the fire.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:06 am

Thanks, I think I will contact her then. I was hopeful that I would at least get some kind of feedback from her based on what others have said about her online.

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:13 am

I'm in a similar position with an agent now. I emailed him after a couple of months (his usual time frame for contacting writers) and asked him if he had looked over the manuscript. Still have yet to hear anything. We're at their mercy. Oy!

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:21 am

Everyone here says it, and it is absolutely true: The waiting is the hardest part. To make matters worse, patience is not one of my better virtues. That's why I've found it helps to have several irons in the fire. At least I'm not pinning all my hopes -- and waiting time -- on one thing, although the novel is certainly my biggest thing.

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:23 am

Okay, here's what she said:

"Thanks for the reminder. I read these chapters but I'm sorry to say the characters and storytelling are too quaint for my taste. Agents and editors working with cozies would probably be more receptive."

What's a cozy, and is this really as bad as it sounds?

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

RE: How long is long enough? or, As bad as it sounds?

Postby abqwriter » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:31 am

It's not bad at all; it means you just have to find the right agent who will like this kind of storytelling.

It never feels good to hear no thanks, but do everything possible to not take it personal.  Each agent has a certain niche that they represent, and this just didn't happen to be the right one.  So, pull out the list and get busy sending out more queries.  Until you've tried all of them that represent your genre, you haven't hit the end of that road.

I have currently heard back from 25 agents.  Six have told me that it's a project worth pursuing - just not their cup of tea.  I take heart in that and just keep trying. 

You are right - anxiety-wise this is much more difficult that the actual process of writing, but this is part of the business, so it's something we have to get good at doing.

Good luck and don't give up.  Your job isn't finished today until you've found ten new agents to query and sent them off!  :)

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:35 am

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:37 am

I hate agents. That said I'm going to take Lisa's advice and go find 10 more to query.

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party