[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Procrastination : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Procrastination

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
elle33
Private First Class

Re: Procrastination

Postby elle33 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:11 pm

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:54 pm

Rough days are... well, rough. The silver lining is that they offer writers a resource of experience and emotions to use later.

How you handle rough days and writing pretty much comes down to what your writing dreams and goals are. If it's a fun hobby and you hope to publish something some day, then I say you take those rough days off. Why ruin a fun hobby by forcing yourself to do it on a day when you don't feel like it? I love camping but I don't want to go camping this week.

If you're determined to be a full-time, published writer who makes a living from writing, then I'm with James. You must treat it seriously and make writing a first priority habit. How badly do you want it? If we don't write every time we have a bad day, we'll have a lot of non-writing days! The working world has to learn how to put a bad day out of their mind and get on with their jobs. It's important to treat your writing like a career if that's what you want it to be.

On a scale of one-to-ten, if my second paragraph is a one, and my third paragraph is a ten, I choose to make writing an eight-and-a-half. I will make a living from my writing and I will make a habit of writing a set number hours a day, at a set time per day. Decision made, done and dusted. I intend to take writing very seriously. However, I know full well that life happens and I'm not in control of it. There are bad days and there are bad days! Writing will be my career, not my religion. Everyone needs a mental health day from time to time. A mental health day includes taking one with guilt or condemnation.
~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

elle33
Private First Class

Postby elle33 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:17 pm

Determination? It may take me ten years plus, to get my words on page, but it will happen. Now, whether they're actually published or not is up to a greater power.

Balance between work, family and my own desires are very difficult, as I'm sure it is for everyone. I require a certain number of hours of rest to function at work. My family requires a certain amount of time as well. I can only stay locked up in a room for so long before the natives grow restless, you know? There will be rituals, fire (God save the dog) and some form of primitive tattooing if I'm away for too long in a house of men. ;)

In the meantime, I'll write when it feels right. I sit down at my computer every evening for at least an hour or two, whether it's to write or research. Sometimes life gets in the way of what I want to do, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It all goes in the pages in the end.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:20 pm

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party