Tate Publishing: A Conversation

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:00 am

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:00 am

I recently submitted my manuscript to a publisher online by the name of Tate Publishing. They claim to be a mainline, Christian publisher. However, as I researched them (albeit after submitting my work) I realized that they are really another "subsidy" publisher. So, I didn't contact them any further and figured that was that.

However, I was sent the following email from them today. I'll post the email here and take out the names. Then, I'll post my response. Just thought I'd share and give you all fair warning.

Mr. Sipper,

I just left you a voice message, but I wanted to e-mail you, as well. We really loved your submission and we are excited about the opportunity to partner with you on it! I have issued you contracts to look over overnight today to the address that you provided in Alabama. As soon as you have questions, or need anything at all, just get in touch with me and I would be happy to go over anything with you at that time. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to review your text. It was truly a great experience reading your book! It was intriguing, yet the message was really well portrayed! You are very talented! I look forward to speaking with you more about the process once you read over the offer!! I will probably get in touch with you in the next few days, but if you have questions before hearing from me, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Blessings,

(name deleted)

My response:

Dear (name deleted),

Thank you very much for the telephone call, email, and compliments! However, I have decided to not to use Tate Publishing as my publisher of choice. I have researched Tate Publishing extensively and found that there is an author investment of approximately $4000. Due to this expense, I find it not to my advantage personally or professionally to work with Tate Publishing.

Please understand that this is not a question of your character or your ability to produce a good product. However, as a debut author, I understand that it is rare for a virtual unknown as myself to sell even 1000 books. Therefore, the possibility of earning back the $4000 is negligible at best.

I also realize that Tate Publishing makes a substantial investment and wishes to sell all the books it can which will no doubt benefit both Publisher and Author. But, the simple fact is, if I'm being realistic, my book, which I believe in with all my heart, will slip into obscurity and will not make an impact or money.

Again, I thank you all for your time and enthusiasm, but unfortunately, Tate Publishing doesn't currently fill my needs as an aspiring author.

I wish you and Tate Publishing all the best!

Sincerely,
Josh Sipper

Aspiring

RE: Tate Publishing: A Conversation

Postby Aspiring » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:56 am

How disappointing for you, but you handled it so diplomaticly. I'm sure I wouldn't have your tact in the same situation. Thanks for sharing. I appreciate the insight.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:56 am

I think you're wise to hold out, Joshua.  That's a lot of money to invest just to hold a hard cover copy.  Keep pushing.  The talent's there.  You just have to find the right one.

Best wishes.

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:59 am

Good job, Josh!

I suspect they've used someone's $4,000 on that elegant intro screen to their website.

Here's an interesting thing to ponder while researching publishers. A mainstream publishing house sets up its site to attract the interest of readers, not writers. Consider the admittedly uninspired homepage of Random House: http://www.randomhouse.com . Tate's site, on the other hand, attempts to attract the attention of writers: http://www.tatepublishing.com . Considering the fact that businesses target the segment of the population from which they intend to make their money, this tells us something very important about Tate.

Clare

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:08 am

Nicely done, Josh.

Clare - excellent point about marketing to an audience and donning the reader's hat, rather than the writier's, when trying to sell a story.

Thanks for sharing!

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:01 pm

Thanks for the warning.  I imagine you never thought you'd be writing such a response letter. 

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:55 pm

Josh,  great response - both the decision and the letter. You handled it perfectly. I'm sure the right situation will come along soon.

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:24 am

Thanks, everybody! I just wanted to send out a word to the wise. It really made me feel upset and almost insulted that a subsidy press would be so manipulative. As writers, our gullibility must be squelched, in my opinion. I'm glad it helped and I plan to keep fighting the good fight toward true publication.

I'll know to look for the "context clues" the next time I visit a subsidy/vanity press site disguised as a main-line press. Thanks, y'all!

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:17 am

Josh, you were the smart one here--not to say lucky. The artists after new writers are clever. I came across this nasty tale of fraud today on the web:

http://www.horrorworld.org/columns.htm

With such great manipulation tactics, as well as support from "literary agencies," these people raked in millions.

Clare

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party