[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How many projects do take on at once? : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How many projects do take on at once?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: How many projects do take on at once?

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:49 am

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:51 am

I'm always working on at least two projects, a novel and a short story, often more than one short story. Sometimes, you need a break from something, time to think about where its going and to spend on something completely different. Ploughing on regardless might affect how enthused you are by the story, with the result that it won't turn out as well as it could.
Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

McParadigm

Postby McParadigm » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:47 am

Last edited by McParadigm on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:03 pm

nice, McParadigm!

And Louise yours is impressive too but I already know an idea of how you work!
Previously published writer starting over.

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:08 am

I think there are ways to juggle multiple projects efficiently. For instance, when you take a break between drafts of one story, that is a great time to temporarily move a different project from your back burner to your front burner for a few weeks, before you re-visit the previous work for revision.

Example from my life: I recently completed the second draft of my debut novel (Shameless plug here: an urban fantasy/mystery dealing with voodoo cults, renegade snake gods, and a guy who can teleport short distances. Visit my blog for more!!) Anyway, that was the perfect time to revisit a novella that I had been tweaking in bits and pieces. For about two weeks, I made that my priority, while revising a couple of short stories that I want to submit soon to some genre magazines. After the obligatory two or three weeks break, I returned to my novel to start getting it ready for my test readers. The previously mentioned novella is once again on the back burner, although I still make time here and there to tweak my short stories.

Is there a more efficient way? Maybe. But this way keeps me sane. I think if I tried to work on multiple projects simultaneously, I would lose the single-minded focus that I find I need to really pour into any single one of them.

getgoodgrade
Private E-1

Postby getgoodgrade » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:25 am

Always asking myself the same question, and always answering the same. "Take all the projects, and make them alive."
New York City based writer, editor in .
”I am in harmony with my annihilation.” ― Georges Bataille

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:48 am

Hello there!
Awesome proyects you are working on. And I'm glad you recovered from addiction and that you transform it in something good like writing. Way to go ;)

Anyway, whatever works for you, you should go with it. I work on a a novel and on short stories too, but, for example, what works for me is to write between chapters. I can write doodles while a chapter, but I'll take the story seriously in between. This way I never forget about my novel, I set short term goals. And lets me finish everything I've started!
I discovered that when I took a break from the first draft I really liked writing stories, and I didn't want to lose that.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, so keep on going. Set a rutine, if you need one!
Best of lucks
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party