[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
First time freelance advice... : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

First time freelance advice...

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Ultimate Cheapskate
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: First time freelance advice...

Postby Ultimate Cheapskate » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:45 am

- Jeff Yeager --- http://www.UltimateCheapskate.com
Author, "The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches" and three other fine-but-cheap books published by Random House
NBC TODAY Show's Ultimate Cheapskate
Blogging at AARP.org

kankowitz
Sergeant

Postby kankowitz » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:51 am

KarenRankowitz (I am not 'kankowitz'...that's disgusting!)
Joined Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:54 am (new forum format messed this up a bit)

http://montville-ct.patch.com/users/kar ... blog_posts
http://www.excursionzmagazine.com/

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:26 pm

ditto all of the above!

don't be a putz... act like the pro that you are, since you had a piece accepted, and get the info you need... if you don't like the terms, then thank them for their interest and politely pull the piece... and from now on, before you submit anything else anywhere else, be sure to find out if it's worth it...

hugs, m
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:44 pm

Hello ziapapaya,

Don't be shy about the money question. As far as you know, you didn't offer a free article. You have the right to know and understand all the terms of the agreement. I realize you may feel uncomfortable about the money issue, but don't. Just be the professional writer you are, call the editor or publisher, and get your answers. Once you do it you'll feel better. :D

ziahpapaya
Private E-1

Postby ziahpapaya » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:39 pm

OK...I feel much better now, thank you everyone for your encouragement and advice :)
You are of course all completely correct - I've just been shy and a little lacking in confidence, but now I can see that's not going to get me anywhere in this business!
I'm off to write my confident and professional letter to New Dawn's editor...

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:03 am

ziahpapaya
Private E-1

Postby ziahpapaya » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:12 am

Oh gosh...yes phone anxiety is definitely a factor but I'm sure it's one I can deal with! Thanks for the advice.

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:14 am

Good luck! :D

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party