[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
First time freelance advice... : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

First time freelance advice...

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ziahpapaya
Private E-1

First time freelance advice...

Postby ziahpapaya » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:10 am

I have a question I'd like to talk about with other more experienced freelance writers but don't know which topic to post under? It concerns the negotiation process between myself and an editor. Thanks
Last edited by ziahpapaya on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

pls
Site Admin

Re: Where do I post?

Postby pls » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:01 am

I moved this thread to the Writers' Block Party where it would receive more exposure - ask away!
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

ziahpapaya
Private E-1

Re: Where do I post?

Postby ziahpapaya » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:13 am

That's great, thanks very much. I will re-name the thread and get started....

ziahpapaya
Private E-1

Re: First time freelance advice...

Postby ziahpapaya » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:41 am

I just need a little advice as I am in the process of selling my first freelance article...
After submitting my finished article to my favourite publication, I received an email from the editor saying it has been scheduled to appear in the May/June issue of this year. FANTASTIC! I immediately wrote back to confirm (as he requested) that everything was in order and there were no further adjustments I needed to make, but now I haven't heard anything for the last 7 weeks...
My enquiry today is: What is usually involved in the negotiations between writer and editor? Will I be required to sign a contract/agreement/release form or something of the sort? Am I supposed to be the one who raises the question of payment or is that better left to the editor? Is this type of time frame normal, or are agreements usually made straight away?
I'm probably worrying unnecessarily, and I realise that it's more than likely that every publication operates differently, but has anyone got any general guidelines or advice they can share with this slightly impatient and anxious writer?

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:51 am

don't their guidelines spell out what the pay is and whether a contract is needed?

what publication is this?

you'll have to call and ask the editor for answers, since each publication has its own way of doing things... your letter could have been overlooked, or the editor just too busy to reply yet... which is why a phone call would be your best course of action, imo, as there really are no 'general' guidelines about such things...

congratulations on having your article accepted!... but from now on, do your homework and find out these things before you submit, if you want to be seen as a professional...

love and hugs, maia
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:12 am

Submission guidelines almost always spell out if there will be payment and when it will be paid. Some magazines pay on acceptance, some on publication, others at some other specified time (the magazine I write for pays quarterly). Some magazines require a contract; others do not. Contracts outlining copyright and payment issues are usually sent soon after a piece has been accepted for publication so that negotiations, if necessary, can be worked out before the piece goes to print. Your editor is probably assumimg you already understand payment and copyright issues. As you don't, an e-mail or phone call would be appropriate, but I'd check your magazine guidelines again first.

Congratulations on having your first article accepted. Way to go!
[imge=3509-3]

Ultimate Cheapskate
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ultimate Cheapskate » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:55 pm

Congratulations on getting your piece accept!

I agree with the earlier posters, in that the editor should have stated/confirmed the terms under which the piece was being accepted, including payment, rights, etc. In nearly all cases the publisher, not the writer, will draft and issue the contract/letter of agreement for both parties to sign. You can attempt to negotiate the terms of that agreement (including the amount of payment), but it's the publisher's role to state the proposed terms of publication. Since in this case they apparently have not, I'd definitely call the publisher asap to ask exactly what the proposed deal is, rather than have them assume that you're fine with whatever they are (or aren't) offering to pay.

Good luck.
- Jeff Yeager --- http://www.UltimateCheapskate.com
Author, "The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches" and three other fine-but-cheap books published by Random House
NBC TODAY Show's Ultimate Cheapskate
Blogging at AARP.org

kankowitz
Sergeant

Postby kankowitz » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:10 pm

Here's another reason to confirm the terms of publication: The First Time Rights to the piece. Many publications buy the First Time Rights and if you are not getting what you want for the piece (or what is fair and within range of what other publishers offer for the kind of work you do), then you just sold away the rights.

Basically what that means is that other publications may not buy your piece (many only buy First Time Rights) because it has already been published.
KarenRankowitz (I am not 'kankowitz'...that's disgusting!)
Joined Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:54 am (new forum format messed this up a bit)

http://montville-ct.patch.com/users/kar ... blog_posts
http://www.excursionzmagazine.com/

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:51 pm

If you'd give us the name of the magazine, there's a good chance someone here could tell you what the terms will be.

ziahpapaya
Private E-1

Postby ziahpapaya » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:36 am

Wow, thanks so much for everyone's replies and advice. I realise now that even though I took the time to do my research about freelancing, there is still so much I need to learn!
The magazine in question is called 'New Dawn,' it's an Australian publication so I'm not sure if any of you will know it or not? Their submission guidelines are extremely brief so I definitely didn't miss any of the fine print that may have covered this information.
As for whether or not freelance writers are usually paid for their work by New Dawn, I (perhaps naively) assumed that they would in fact be paid based on the fact that a) the magazine is not free and b) it seemed to me that publishers who don't pay their freelance writers make a habit of clearly stating this fact in their guidelines.
Based on the advice I have kindly received from everyone thus far, I will definitely write the editor an email. I'm still not sure if I should bring up the subject of money right away though? Perhaps I should simply ask what type of agreement or contract we will be entering into and hope he takes it from there...?

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party