[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
This has been bothering me for quite some time... : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

This has been bothering me for quite some time...

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Crono91
Lieutenant

This has been bothering me for quite some time...

Postby Crono91 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:15 pm

In regards to getting an agent, a lot of people say, "If you don't have an 'in,' then you won't get anywhere."

That always makes me feel horrible. I wish this world did good to those who did good! I just refuse to believe you have to know someone in the business to get somewhere in life. Countless good writers who aren't even published yet. And still, there are all these average books out there--most likely because they "knew" someone.

What do you guys think? How true do you think that statement is?
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: This has been bothering me for quite some time...

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:46 pm

Getting an agent isn't a matter of "knowing someone". It's forming a partnership with an expert, someone who knows which publishers are looking for what material and when, among other things. And 'average books' is a subjective opinion. One person likes a book, another doesn't, so it really is meaningless. Books get published because the publisher thinks it will sell. Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong. But publishers can't afford to do things merely as 'favors'.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Ultimate Cheapskate
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ultimate Cheapskate » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:55 pm

In my experience, it's absolutely untrue. I have an agent - and at the same time I found her I had offers of representation from two others - and I had no connections or previous dealings with any of them. I think because good agents are hard to land, a lot of times when writers can't secure one they conclude that you must "have to know somebody" for it to happen.

That said, knowing someone (even a writer with an agent who can make an introduction for you) can't hurt, but it's clear that what agents are looking for is a project and author they think they can sell, not someone to pass along a friends business card at a cocktail party.

Good luck.
- Jeff Yeager --- http://www.UltimateCheapskate.com
Author, "The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches" and three other fine-but-cheap books published by Random House
NBC TODAY Show's Ultimate Cheapskate
Blogging at AARP.org

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:45 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

FBaron
Corporal

Postby FBaron » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:19 pm

When it comes to attracting agents (or publishers) the best "in" is a killer query followed by a page-turner of a manuscript.

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:39 pm

I subscribe to "Guide to Literary Agents" e-newsletter, which has a feature called "How I Got My Agent", and also posts new agent information and other tips. In the How I Got My Agent, I have seen a wide variety of ways that new authors have gotten noticed, and none had prior connections. I think this is very useful, and am still going through my own agent search.
Previously published writer starting over.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:42 pm

Rest assured this is absolutely untrue. You can't get any closer to working with and knowing agents than organizing an event with over fifty top notch agents. In the end your writing has to be sellable. :(

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:04 am

silly... not true at all...

while can certainly help to get your foot in the door if you come referred by someone known to the agent [especially one of the hard/impossible-to-get-to, top level ones], a good query about a clearly marketable book will also do the trick...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:32 am

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:42 am

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party