Literary Prizes

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
shamrock.9967
Private E-2

Literary Prizes

Postby shamrock.9967 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:50 pm

Since they clearly have more to do with politics than merit and in the interest of fairness, I suggest one of three options. 1. They do away with the Pulitzer and other such prizes all together or 2. since there is cash involved, split the prize money up among anyone who has the proper category of book and applies, so that everyone gets a dollar or two and a mini prize certificate or 3. Award the prize via a lotto system, in essence drawing names out of a hat and awarding the winner the prize money and the trophy, plaque, medal, certificate whatever and fete them accordingly

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Literary Prizes

Postby ostarella » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:52 pm

shamrock.9967 wrote:
> Since they clearly have more to do with politics than merit and in the
> interest of fairness, I suggest one of three options. 1. They do away with
> the Pulitzer and other such prizes all together or 2. since there is cash
> involved, split the prize money up among anyone who has the proper category
> of book and applies, so that everyone gets a dollar or two and a mini prize
> certificate or 3. Award the prize via a lotto system, in essence drawing
> names out of a hat and awarding the winner the prize money and the trophy,
> plaque, medal, certificate whatever and fete them accordingly

I'm not sure I would agree with your assessment. You may not like the winners, or the subject they wrote about, or opinions/themes in their writing, but that doesn't necessarily mean the awarding is not based on merit. It's kinda like another discussion about over-rated authors - we may not personally like what they wrote, but it doesn't mean they aren't good writers. Your suggestion is basically to reduce these prestigious and respected awards to Podunk Holler County Fair Prize for Whatever.
"The trick of the fiction writer is the beautiful lie..." Thomas Fox Averill

aka shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://shadowwalker.info/home.html

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:27 pm

shamrock.9967 wrote:
> Since they clearly have more to do with politics than merit and in the
> interest of fairness, I suggest one of three options. 1. They do away with
> the Pulitzer and other such prizes all together or 2. since there is cash
> involved, split the prize money up among anyone who has the proper category
> of book and applies, so that everyone gets a dollar or two and a mini prize
> certificate or 3. Award the prize via a lotto system, in essence drawing
> names out of a hat and awarding the winner the prize money and the trophy,
> plaque, medal, certificate whatever and fete them accordingly

When everyone wins, no one is a winner. To paraphrase another saying about the elimination of competition and status.

Writing is not objective. Not a science. It's an art, thus based at least in part on non-logical processes. Competitions, the truly regarded ones, try to hold up standards. Tell you what: start your own contest with that "everyone who applies, wins" concept, and see how much regard you gain with it.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:21 pm

Nobel prizes are generally about a career of work and most or all are worthy recipients.

Pulitzers are hit and miss, as far as I'm concerned. Some of the winners don't deserve "Podunk Holler County Fair Prize."

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:14 pm

DrG2 wrote:
> Nobel prizes are generally about a career of work and most or all are
> worthy recipients.
>
> Pulitzers are hit and miss, as far as I'm concerned. Some of the winners
> don't deserve "Podunk Holler County Fair Prize."

Considering how long it takes the juries to review the books (approximately a year), the number of entries, the whole process of juried nominations and then final voting (including "no award" if they don't find anything notable enough) and the caliber of the people doing the judging, I'm figuring they must have a pretty good reason for making the awards. ;) But yeah, as I noted earlier, if one doesn't care for a particular book, it doesn't matter what awards it wins - the individual just doesn't like it.

aka shadowwalker

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:44 pm

ostarella wrote:
> But yeah, as I noted earlier, if one doesn't care
> for a particular book, it doesn't matter what awards it wins - the individual just
> doesn't like it.

I don't think it's that simple. I think some of the selections are objectively bad and are picked for ulterior motives.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:11 am

DrG2 wrote:
> ostarella wrote:
> > But yeah, as I noted earlier, if one doesn't care
> > for a particular book, it doesn't matter what awards it wins - the individual
> just
> > doesn't like it.
>
> I don't think it's that simple. I think some of the selections are objectively bad
> and are picked for ulterior motives.

I hope you're joking. Considering the number of people involved in the process, the variety of people involved, the time involved - that would have to be one heck of an ulterior motive to get them all in the same boat.

aka shadowwalker

RobTheThird
Private First Class

Postby RobTheThird » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:12 am

DrG2 wrote:
> ostarella wrote:
> > But yeah, as I noted earlier, if one doesn't care
> > for a particular book, it doesn't matter what awards it wins - the individual
> just
> > doesn't like it.
>
> I don't think it's that simple. I think some of the selections are objectively bad
> and are picked for ulterior motives.
Well... do you have examples?

One of the prizes you mentioned was the Pulitzer. So I went to look at their criteria. Just in Journalism. There are fourteen awards. Do you have an example of this in a Pulitzer? Here are the criteria they publish:

----------------------------------------------
The following awards will be made annually as Prizes in Journalism based on material coming from a United States newspaper, magazine or news site that publishes regularly during the calendar year and that adheres to the highest journalistic principles. Broadcast media and their news sites are ineligible. Entries that involve collaboration between an eligible organization and ineligible media will be considered if the eligible organization does the preponderance of the work and publishes it at least simultaneously with the ineligible partner.

In the Public Service category, the Pulitzer Prize Board recognizes the work of newspapers, magazines or eligible news sites; in all other categories, the work of individuals where possible. In all categories except cartoons and photography, the Board seeks a high quality of writing and original reporting and, in all categories, journalistic excellence across all formats, in print or online or both.

1. For a distinguished example of meritorious public service by a newspaper, magazine or news site through the use of its journalistic resources, including the use of stories, editorials, cartoons, photographs, graphics, videos, databases, multimedia or interactive presentations or other visual material, a gold medal.

2. For a distinguished example of local, state or national reporting of breaking news that, as quickly as possible, captures events accurately as they occur, and, as time passes, illuminates, provides context and expands upon the initial coverage, Fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).

3. For a distinguished example of investigative reporting, using any available journalistic tool, Fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).

4. For a distinguished example of explanatory reporting that illuminates a significant and complex subject, demonstrating mastery of the subject, lucid writing and clear presentation, using any available journalistic tool, Fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).

5. For a distinguished example of reporting on significant issues of local concern, demonstrating originality and community expertise, using any available journalistic tool, Fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).

6. For a distinguished example of reporting on national affairs, using any available journalistic tool, Fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).

7. For a distinguished example of reporting on international affairs, using any available journalistic tool, Fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).

8. For distinguished feature writing giving prime consideration to quality of writing, originality and concision, using any available journalistic tool, Fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).

9. For distinguished commentary, using any available journalistic tool, Fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).

10. For distinguished criticism, using any available journalistic tool, Fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).

11. For distinguished editorial writing, the test of excellence being clearness of style, moral purpose, sound reasoning, and power to influence public opinion in what the writer conceives to be the right direction, using any available journalistic tool, Fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).

12. For a distinguished cartoon or portfolio of cartoons, characterized by originality, editorial effectiveness, quality of drawing and pictorial effect, published as a still drawing, animation or both, Fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).

13. For a distinguished example of breaking news photography in black and white or color, which may consist of a photograph or photographs, Fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).

14. For a distinguished example of feature photography in black and white or color, which may consist of a photograph or photographs, Fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).

Return to Writers' Block Party