Rejection?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
GabrielX
Private E-1

Rejection?

Postby GabrielX » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi everyone.....Gabriel here.....Happy Thanksgiving!!! We all know that rejection is just part of the show.....but the other day I received one that I've never gotten before. I was rejected.....wait for it...... because I didnt my own website or blog??? Has anyone had this type of rejection before? I get that marketing and pushing your own book is definitely part of the process....but a rejection based off of that...when in the same breath said that they really liked the concept. Are agents looking for us to be that involved already or is this some new form of an easy let down? Thanks all!

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Re: Rejection?

Postby Noizchild » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:36 pm

I got rejected from an online magazine.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Brien Sz » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:18 pm

Is your work non-fiction? Generally non-fiction writers are required to have some sort of website and such as way to give credence to your credibility.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:45 pm

Yeah, if it was nonfiction, then you need something for "credibility". But if it's fiction - you're probably lucky you didn't get picked by those folks. They essentially expected you to do their job.

kris0707
Private E-2

Postby kris0707 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:47 am

I'm assuming having something like facebook, wattpad, or some other social media doesn't count, right? I ask because my first book I'll be trying to publish is based on something that happened.

Brien Sz

Postby Brien Sz » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:28 am

Facebook counts - if you have a couple thousand followers, that will go a long way. Twitter is big in the literary world - don't know why, but it is.

GabrielX
Private E-1

Postby GabrielX » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:15 am

Was for a childrens picture book......go figure.

kris0707
Private E-2

Postby kris0707 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:13 pm

Oh wow, I have a facebook, but not that many followers. Will either have to work on that or maybe start a blog...
Gabriel - I'm sorry to hear about the rejection. That really is a ridiculous reason. Seems so hard to get published nowadays... I'm still working on my first book and have been told self-publishing is the way to go. I'd rather be traditionally published, but it seems really tough.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:47 am

kris0707 wrote:
> Seems so hard to get published nowadays... I'm still
> working on my first book and have been told self-publishing is the way to
> go. I'd rather be traditionally published, but it seems really tough.

Getting trade published is hard - but self-publishing well is just as hard. There's much more to it than just popping it up on Amazon - editing is all up to you (unless you can afford to hire proper editors) and so is marketing - which is not only difficult but time consuming if you really want to do it right. JMHO, but one should not self-publish under the assumption it's easier - one should self-publish because you want the challenge of being a publisher as well as an author.

Brien Sz

Postby Brien Sz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:15 am

Facebook is tied into Instagram. It's probably the best social media combination to advertise and promote with - just look at the stock valuation. Also, Facebook is inexpensive. You can start a campaign for as little as $5 a day for as many or few days as you like. You can also specify your target audience. I use it and run week long campaigns on and off all the time. As a matter of fact, one of my self published books is 1 year old today (11-19-17) and I have sold just over 2500 copies - most of that is in the e-book format.

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party