Help with Plothole

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
kris0707
Private E-2

Re: Help with Plothole

Postby kris0707 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:11 pm

Oldtimer - Lol, I thought outlining was a common practice for writers, but recently heard some people can do without them. Not sure how it'll work out, but I guess it's worth a try. Thanks for the luck lol. =)

Noizchild - That's cool that you can do that. I'm curious how my next project will turn out if I try that haha. =)

Crono91 - Yeah, I was told that this isn't so much a plot hole as much as a lack of development on my part so my bad on calling it a plot hole. I like your idea very much, but would that mean giving up on the other dimension idea? Also, my biggest problem is what the first two Life Changers (as scientists) find that give them these powers. I've been thinking about it for quite a while now and am thinking of maybe going with them coming across a deity/artifact that the original inhabitants of the island worshipped, but this idea seems a little cliche to me so unsure if I'm going to use it. Thanks so much for your suggestion, though! Is there a book or something where this magic is used so I have a good example of how to write it?

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:45 pm

Nope, no book. I just made it up. I write YA fantasy adventure with magical realism, so I constantly just come up with unique powers haha.

And yeah, I can't really help with how they get the powers. Nothing is cliche depending on how you tell the story. However, having these characters just randomly come across something that gives them powers can be tough, because it can seem out of place.

Perhaps, since they seem to be from some kind of bloodline as the first of these life changers, they go to the island for a science expedition. Once there, they come across some elaborate mechanism with a jewel or artifact inside. They reach for the mechanism, and it turns on. In a quick set of events, it gashes their hand, spewing blood, and shoves their wounded hand against the artifact. The artifact reacts with their blood, opening dormant pathways, giving them their power.

Granted, you have to at some point explain this mechanism and why it's there, blah blah. But could open to extra interesting plot devices.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:31 pm

kris0707 wrote:
> Noizchild - That's cool that you can do that. I'm curious how my next
> project will turn out if I try that haha. =)

Up to you.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

kris0707
Private E-2

Postby kris0707 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Crono91 - Well, I have to congratulate you on your creativity with coming up with magical powers! =) I wouldn't want to copy such a great idea, but this gives me hope as I am so new to creating/writing anything that has to do with magic and I thought everything had pretty much been done lol.

This is a very good idea, but the only thing is that the island is their original home, but now that you mention them coming across it randomly, I see that it is sort of a bad idea them just coming across something on an island where they've lived all along and no one else found it so having them travel to find the artifact makes a lot more sense. =) Their mission as scientists is trying to find a way to rid of the mist on their island so I'll just have to think of some reason they would have to travel and wherever they go, I'll make that where they find the source of power.

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it. ^_^

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party