Forum Problems

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
RobTheThird
Private E-1

Forum Problems

Postby RobTheThird » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:59 am

@Jess Farris:

As I said in your intro thread, I don't want to inundate that thread with complaints. Welcome. Despite this being only third post under this ID, I'm actually someone who has been around for some time. Look up the user ID robjvargas. That's me. Only, as I mention below, I cannot login with that ID anymore. As this ID suggests, I'm on my third ID. Let's get to some of the problems we face as WD users.

Personally, I'm more concerned with the architectural and security problems on this site.
1) User ID's that suddenly fail to login (I'm on my third ID and I'm not the worst case)
2) An easily subverted banning system that allows at least one particular troll to return over and over (if you look, and not all that hard, you can tell that he's back yet again).
3) The weak to nearly nonexistent antispam measures.
4) Broken post formatting (I think it's a symptom of the broken PHP code of the site's foundation)

I don't expect these problems to resolve overnight. Or even in one step. But through all of those issues, contrary to what you say, WD's silence makes me NOT feel valued (or, really, wanted). Brian may have appreciated us. WD, based on their (in)action and (lack of) communication, not.

I've nearly left these forums for good several times over. But it's NOT Writers Digest that brings me back. It's the users that I've interacted with. Like them, I've seen Writers Digest at its best. Not only is it not at its best, but, going back to that silence, I don't see any concern that services are nonfunctional. I'm not asking to be an attendee on project status meetings. By the same token, however, we haven't seen an acknowledgment by Writers Digest that these problems even exist. Not until Brian spoke up just a few weeks ago. And that's after these problems have been ongoing for over a year. Even further back if you include the waves of spam that led to 35 PAGES of spam posts on some nights.

Updating a site with this much content and with deadlines to continue producing content, that's not an easy proposition. Take the time you need to do it right. But for God's sake, TALK TO US. If not for the other users that love writing as much as I do, this post (much less this forum) wouldn't be worth my time.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Forum Problems

Postby ostarella » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:13 am

Agree with all Rob has said (well, kinda hope the repairs happen sooner than later, but :) ). Anytime, anywhere, under any circumstances, when people don't get a response (or get vague promises followed by silence), it creates frustration. When people are frustrated, they do whatever they can to get some control of the situation - and with forums, many times that means, plain and simple, leaving. Given that so much of WD's site is promoting their products, cynically speaking, this forum should be given much more attention just for the fact of bringing people to the site.

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:00 pm

I think they fixed the log in. I had no trouble logging this week.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:09 pm

Yeah, I think that's a definite. I haven't had all the "time outs" and multiple pages for some time now, thank God.

RobTheThird
Private E-1

Postby RobTheThird » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:08 pm

Noizchild wrote:
> I think they fixed the log in. I had no trouble logging this week.

Things *are* changing. Notice that the quote above doesn't use UBBCode? No [quote} and [/quote] at front and back? It's now a more Usenet-style quoting. I also don't see any formatting options above the post box. They turned off UBB in the forum software's settings.

Perfect? No. I like UBBCode when it works. But at least one of the forum troubles has been dealt with for now.

deddmann_writing
Private E-2

Postby deddmann_writing » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:34 pm

RobTheThird wrote:
> Noizchild wrote:
> > I think they fixed the log in. I had no trouble logging this week.
>
> Things *are* changing. Notice that the quote above doesn't use UBBCode? No [quote}
> and [/quote] at front and back? It's now a more Usenet-style quoting. I also don't
> see any formatting options above the post box. They turned off UBB in the forum
> software's settings.
>
> Perfect? No. I like UBBCode when it works. But at least one of the forum troubles
> has been dealt with for now.
========

I noticed the old bbs style quotes were back. That is progress.

T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:27 pm

I turned it off. I was hoping that would help.

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:07 pm

You did a good job.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Return to Writers' Block Party