Metaphors

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Tatzme
Private E-1

Metaphors

Postby Tatzme » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:07 pm

Hello everyone,
I've just read a very old thread from 2008 called "Adverbs, adjectives, simile and metaphor under attack???". It was really interesting for me, especially because I was taught to use metaphors and similies as often as possible to convey a deeper meaning of the text or to make it more three-dimensional.
I totally get why adverbs and adjectives shouldn't be used frequently, but what about those similies and metaphors?

In my opinion, the following is a great example:
"The world was turning around Billie. Her legs were noddles, and her eyes burned like bags of bleach." To me this seems much more vivid than this:
"Billie felt nauseated and weak."

Obviously, it's a personal preference, but what will editors and publishers prefer?
And, by the way, does anyone know some examples for metaphors? All I can think about are similies...

Sorry if this thread is too similar to the old one... I just had some remaining questions

Thanks in advance
Greetings

sammy2
Private First Class

Re: Metaphors

Postby sammy2 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:10 pm

[quote="Tatzme"]Hello everyone,
I've just read a very old thread from 2008 called "Adverbs, adjectives, simile and metaphor under attack???". It was really interesting for me, especially because I was taught to use metaphors and similies as often as possible to convey a deeper meaning of the text or to make it more three-dimensional.
I totally get why adverbs and adjectives shouldn't be used frequently, but what about those similies and metaphors?

In my opinion, the following is a great example:
"The world was turning around Billie. Her legs were noddles, and her eyes burned like bags of bleach." To me this seems much more vivid than this:
"Billie felt nauseated and weak."

Obviously, it's a personal preference, but what will editors and publishers prefer?
And, by the way, does anyone know some examples for metaphors? All I can think about are similies...

Sorry if this thread is too similar to the old one... I just had some remaining questions

Thanks in advance
Greetings[/quote]

Seems like it is personal. My English profs liked them. I hated them as they were confusing and slowed down the reading as you tried to figure out what exactly they really meant.

A simile is a figure of speech that makes a comparison, showing similarities between two different things. Unlike a metaphor, a simile draws resemblance with the help of the words “like” or “as.” Therefore, it is a direct comparison.

A metaphor is a figure of speech that is used to make a comparison between two things that aren't alike but do have something in common. Unlike a simile, where two things are compared directly using like or as, a metaphor's comparison is more indirect by stating something is something else. A metaphor is very expressive; it is not meant to be taken literally.You may have to work a little to find the meaning in a metaphor.

For example, the phrase, “My brother is the black sheep of the family,” is a metaphor because he is not a sheep, nor is he black.
However, we can use this comparison to describe an association of a black sheep with that person. A black sheep is an unusual animal, which typically stays away from the herd, and the person being described shares similar characteristics.

Other examples of metaphor:

The snow is a white blanket.
The classroom was a zoo.
America is a melting pot.
Her lovely voice was music to his ears.
Life is a rollercoaster. ....

Other example of similes:
Our soldiers are as brave as lions.
Her cheeks are red like a rose.
He is as funny as a monkey.
The water well was as dry as a bone.
He is as cunning as a fox.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:14 pm

[quote="Tatzme"]In my opinion, the following is a great example:
"Billie felt nauseated and weak."[/quote]

I think I am right in saying that the first part of your example is a metaphor, because Billie's legs became noodles - something they obviously weren't - and the second part is a simile, although 'bags of bleach' is not a good comparison. 'Burned like fire' would be better.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, you good grammarians. :D
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:18 pm

[quote="Oldtimer"][quote="Tatzme"]In my opinion, the following is a great example:
"Billie felt nauseated and weak."[/quote]

I think I am right in saying that the first part of your example is a metaphor, because Billie's legs became noodles - something they obviously weren't - and the second part is a simile, although 'bags of bleach' is not a good comparison. 'Burned like fire' would be better.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, you good grammarians. :D[/quote]

You nailed it according to my references.

Simile uses like or as.
Metaphor uses is or was to equate unlike things.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:41 pm

I think the thing to remember with adverbs, adjectives, similes and metaphors is not to over-use them, and to make sure you're using them appropriately. Consider them the spices you add to a stew - too few and the stew is tasteless; too many and it's torture to the palate.

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:36 pm

Metaphors and similes are like spices too much and it's overkill.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Tatzme
Private E-1

Postby Tatzme » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:01 am

@Oldtimer:
Yeah, I totally agree with you. "Bags of bleach" actually doesn't make a lot of sense to be used in that way. Although I'd never wording like that I thought the phrase was expressing vividly what Billie was going through (That's why I chose it for the example). In my opinion "Burned like fire" does sound a lot better.

@sammy2:
Thanks a lot for the example

@ostarella, @noizchild:
What a great similie haha
Yeah, thanks a lot - I totally should consider that, because I tend to overuse metaphors and similies. They just seem so illustrative and, well, I often find them to be amusing or thought-provoking.

@noizchild:
The extract from the poem is very cool, I just felt like saying that haha

So, thanks again to all of you. Have a great day (:

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:48 pm

[quote="Tatzme"]@ostarella, @noizchild:
What a great similie haha
Yeah, thanks a lot - I totally should consider that, because I tend to overuse metaphors and similies. They just seem so illustrative and, well, I often find them to be amusing or thought-provoking.

@noizchild:
The extract from the poem is very cool, I just felt like saying that haha

So, thanks again to all of you. Have a great day (:[/quote]

Thank you and you're welcome.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:09 pm

sammy2 wrote:
> You nailed it according to my references.
>
> Simile uses like or as.
> Metaphor uses is or was to equate unlike things.

Nice to know the difference.

Return to Writers' Block Party