Recent Trolling

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Recent Trolling

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:55 pm

Forums rules dictate that the moderator should delete derogatory remarks. Does anyone here wish me to do so? It would take a while because the website is so slow. :(

sammy2
Private First Class

Re: Recent Trolling

Postby sammy2 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:09 pm

[quote="T.A.Rodgers"]Forums rules dictate that the moderator should delete derogatory remarks. Does anyone here wish me to do so? It would take a while because the website is so slow. :([/quote]

That is your call. It would be far better if people did not make personal comments and stuck to discussing writing related subjects.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:04 pm

[quote="T.A.Rodgers"]Forums rules dictate that the moderator should delete derogatory remarks. Does anyone here wish me to do so? It would take a while because the website is so slow. :([/quote]
I vote for case-by-case.

What's done is done. Going back to it just wastes your time.

But if you believe that such deletion can "save" a thread and return it to valid conversation, I say step in and have at it.

I don't expect you to be a forum cop. Be a... well... a moderator. A facilitator. Encourage the good conversations by protecting them. Trolls will reveal themselves. They can't help it, because they won't see anything but their own self-perceived righteousness. If a conversation is no longer a conversation, decide whether there's something to save, and save it. Or that it's done, and act accordingly.

It sorts itself out, in time.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:00 am

I wouldn't bother with past posts - many can be used as "evidence" when the troll returns ;) But for the future, yes. There's nothing more frustrating than feeling you're on your own when being attacked, or having what could be good discussions derailed because someone got their ego bruised.

MPhillip
Private E-1

Postby MPhillip » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:43 pm

Last edited by MPhillip on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:57 pm

[quote="MPhillip"]I think asking permission to do one's job is a bigger turn-off than some jerk who argues about every little thing, but it's not enough run most folks off. If deleting derogatory posts is the job, it should be done without putting it to a vote. There are times, however, when an explanation after the fact can go a long way towards soothing ruffled feathers.

Derogatory covers a lot of ground, though, and what is perceived as derogatory by one person might not leave that perception with someone else. My vote would be to leave a post alone unless someone complains about it. But that's me.

I believe it takes more than one or two rabble-rousers to chase off members. Same with server problems - some folks might throw up their hands and walk away, but members who see some honest value in the place will find a way to get back in. And stay despite a couple trolls. Trolls, being mythical creatures, really do disappear when ignored.

Things that do chase off members and keep them away are lack of loyalty to the group by established members, harsh treatment of new members, and unresponsive administration. Any one of those issues can damage a forum's reputation, and, for certain, together they will just about destroy it.

Just because we're all adults here doesn't mean we all love each other to the moon and back, want to play kissy face in the back seat of an old V-Dub, or would willingly sacrifice a leg for any other member. It does mean each of us should remember that the person who pissed us off is just as humanly frail as we are.[/quote]

I see many other fora where there are 2-3 bullies that love to attack one victim. Do it enough and mob mentality takes over as others join in. The victim fights back but is eventually banned because clearly the majority are right even if they are the problem that started the flame war.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:15 pm

[quote="sammy2"]
I see many other fora where there are 2-3 bullies that love to attack one victim. Do it enough and mob mentality takes over as others join in. The victim fights back but is eventually banned because clearly the majority are right even if they are the problem that started the flame war.[/quote]

I've been on several different forums over the last 14 years and I can't recall any where the victim was banned. A lot of trolls who claimed to be the victim eventually got booted, as has happened here, but actual victims - really can't recall any.

Return to Writers' Block Party